• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Smoking Be Banned in the Stadium

If you want to talk about someone's right to smoke where they want.....how about someone's right not to be exposed to second hand smoke?

I don't have an issue with people smoking at a bar...I expect it there.

I do like the smoking ban at restaurants. It is nice to enjoy a meal without smelling someone else's cigarette.

I fully support the right of business owners to choose whether or not to allow smoking in their establishments. I don't like the government making the decision for them.

This is analogous to what has been done in the stadium, which you refer to here.

The issue at the stadium is that there are rules put into place on where you can smoke. The people in the concourse believe the rules do not apply to them. Smoke if you want...just do it in the assigned areas. that way the smokers get their fix....and the non-smokers get to enjoy somewhat clean air.
What's got me a little bothered is how this isn't enough for some sanctimonious anti-smoking pricks out there. They're not content with herding the smokers off into a corner, they want to tell them that they can't do it at all.

Frankly, I feel sorry for them.

I enjoy a nice cigar every now and then. However, I respect and establishment's right to tell me whether I can smoke it there or not.
Yes, it's the right of the establishment to say yes or no. Not the government. Did you misspeak, or do we agree?

And cigars? Blech! ;)

Lastly, the fact that you would compare smoking to eating is more than ridiculous.

No more ridiculous thank this:

This is where people who talk about personal freedom and rights are way off base. You do NOT have a right to drink alcohol, smoke. etc.... It is a privelage. Privelages can be regulated and taken away.

What I was raised to believe, and taught in public schools, is that in America we are free to pretty much do what we want in the confines of the law. Much like a presumption of innocence in a crime, freedom is the default choice that we value. It is the only thing we have a right to, and it's a God-given right and not one granted by the government. And in it we have all kinds of other rights that are assumed.

Case in point--guns. The constitution doesn't grant us a right to have them. It assumes that the right already exists, and then forbids the government from taking it away. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is roughly how it goes. Notice how it starts from the point of view that we have all these rights to begin with?

The constitution was put in place to limit what the government could do, not to tell people what they could expect. That seems to have been slowly turned on it's head over the last 30 years, and this is just another example. Now the only rights we seem to have are those the government chooses to grant, usually tied to political interest groups. Freedom isn't the default choice any more, not by a long shot.

Granted, we had prohibition a hundred years ago, so it's obviously not the first time it happened. But why repeat mistakes of the past? Why even start down the road that allows them to happen?

ok

let's talk about this time I overheard this homosexual, soldier-bashing, Sea Shephard debate his cloned sister's three late-term abortions with a black pollster wearing an Obama button and Southern Baptist Minister....in Bank of America Stadium.

Not the same. This thread is a direct question on if the Panthers will allow smoking after Jan 1.

Archived