• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met extensively with 6-4/336-pound DT Eddie Goldman

gettlemanjack

I'm all fine with depth. But we need STARTERS on offense

With a well-functioning D-line, the word "starter" doesn't matter. It's about snap counts. I understand your perspective, but there is plenty of logic in this potential pick.

As long as two of the first three rounds are offensive players, I'll be happy.

Nothing wrong with keeping the strength of our team insured against injury and aging. Keeping blockers off Luke and collapsing the middle of the enemy's O-line are the key to our defense. 1 injury means we can't rotate properly and keep those guys fresh all game long, much less all season long.

QB's are used to watching the edges which is where their pressure usually comes from, but all day, every day, if there is pressure up the middle, it ruins running plays and passing plays.

If the WR's have a run early and the value that drops is Goldman, then so be it.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN beat reporter for the Panthers David Newton recently released #10 on his list (begun on 4/2) of "19 players the Carolina Panthers might consider with the 25th pick ...They are in no particular order... The pick likely will be a (1) running back, (2) wide receiver, (3) cornerback, (4) defensive end, (5) defensive tackle or (6) offensive tackle."

No. 9: DT Eddie Goldman

No. 10: OT T.J. Clemmings

No. 11: RB Melvin Gordon

No. 12: OT Andrus Peat

No. 13: OT Ereck Flowers

No. 14: RB Todd Gurley

No. 15: OLB Eric Kendricks - "exemplifies everything the organization seeks."

No. 16: WR Breshad Perriman

No. 17: SS Landon Collins

No. 18: CB Trae Waynes

No. 19: DE Randy Gregory

"Why Goldman would be a good pick for Carolina: What’s not to like? He’s 6-foot-4 and 336 pounds, but can move like a defensive end. He actually played end in 2013 for a top-ranked defense. He could be a future replacement for Colin Cole, who will be 35 in June. ... The Panthers are solid for the future with 2013 first- and second-round picks Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. But they like to use a four-man rotation. Cole and Dwan Edwards, who will be 34 in May, are at the end of their careers."

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13183/a-look-at-players-the-panthers-might-consider-with-the-25th-pick-eddie-goldman

ESPN beat reporter for the Panthers David Newton recently released #10 on his list (begun on 4/2) of "19 players the Carolina Panthers might consider with the 25th pick ...They are in no particular order... The pick likely will be a (1) running back, (2) wide receiver, (3) cornerback, (4) defensive end, (5) defensive tackle or (6) offensive tackle."

No. 9: DT Eddie Goldman

No. 10: OT T.J. Clemmings

No. 11: RB Melvin Gordon

No. 12: OT Andrus Peat

No. 13: OT Ereck Flowers

No. 14: RB Todd Gurley

No. 15: OLB Eric Kendricks - "exemplifies everything the organization seeks."

No. 16: WR Breshad Perriman

No. 17: SS Landon Collins

No. 18: CB Trae Waynes

No. 19: DE Randy Gregory

"Why Goldman would be a good pick for Carolina: What’s not to like? He’s 6-foot-4 and 336 pounds, but can move like a defensive end. He actually played end in 2013 for a top-ranked defense. He could be a future replacement for Colin Cole, who will be 35 in June. ... The Panthers are solid for the future with 2013 first- and second-round picks Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. But they like to use a four-man rotation. Cole and Dwan Edwards, who will be 34 in May, are at the end of their careers."

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13183/a-look-at-players-the-panthers-might-consider-with-the-25th-pick-eddie-goldman

I mean if it would warrant us cutting Cole, then it makes sense.  That's a lot of playing time in our rotation. 

Plus, we've got D'wan and Colin on pretty much expendable contracts.  I just think those opposing DT high should brace themselves...never know what could happen.  It's a very good draft for 4-3 DTs. 

I am ALL FOR THIS

It sounds crazy, but keep your strengths strong.

Injuries, rotations.. no matter what we will have a dominant Dline that can stuff the run and fug up the QB at anytime.

Id be pumped

Yes i'm all for it too but I'm pretty sure you could also find a great value DT in the lower rounds, and why do most people assume that  Defense player in the 1st round is always BPA over offensive one?

I'm hoping by some miracle Goldman falls to our pick in the 2nd, I honestly have no clue where he will go when some mocks have him going top 15 while others have him going bottom of the 2nd. Just imagine how intimidating that would be for a RB seeing a wall of Star Lotulelei and Eddie Goldman on first down knowing it's a run up the middle.

I'm hoping by some miracle Goldman falls to our pick in the 2nd, I honestly have no clue where he will go when some mocks have him going top 15 while others have him going bottom of the 2nd. Just imagine how intimidating that would be for a RB seeing a wall of Star Lotulelei and Eddie Goldman on first down knowing it's a run up the middle.

And the best LB corps in football behind.

It worked for the Giants. Twice.

Get used to it. Gettleman will draft DE/DT in the 1st/2nd round yearly.

But they drafted pass rushers... My understanding is that this guy isn't so much of a pass rusher... And we already have solid run stuffing DT's. At a some point, you have to improve other positions.

Guest Barry McCaulkinor

At the end of the day our pick is going to come down to who is available at the top of our board. If that guy is Eddie Goldman, I will no qualms with it. 

We are a Star/KK injury away from having a dog poo DT rotation. Our ability to stop the run was GARBAGE last year at the beginning of the year if you don't remember. It was painful watching teams break off 25-30 yard runs on this team. Specifically I remember the Bengals doing it multiple times. There isn't anything that kills your D more than a 50+ yard run. If you get Goldman then you basically say you're committed to having the freshest DTs on every down and you're not chancing Luke and TD getting swamped on any downs.

Would I rather have a playmaker? Yeah probably. But we picked up Boykin, Ginn, and could get a WR later in the draft. Would I rather have a LT? Yeah. But you don't get LTs at the end of the 1st. There is a reason an OT is still available there. It's because he's a RT or a G...not a sure fire LT.

All that to say...DG is doing/did what he does every year. He's plugging holes with players he thinks have potential so he can grab the BPA with our pick. If Goldman is the highest rated player on our board when we go to pick then you better believe he'll be a Panther. Then we'll roll with what DGs plan has been all along...Oher at LT, Ginn as a deep threat ST ace, Boykin in the slot. Pick up other talents in the other rounds and draft the next Bene, KK etc...

Archived