• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met extensively with 6-4/336-pound DT Eddie Goldman

gettlemanjack

Rob Staton, Seahawksdraftblog.com:

"I’ve spent a bit of time over the last week or so studying..Goldman...Eddie Goldman is different. You put on the tape and consistently his number jumps off the screen. ... He’s pretty close to the complete interior defensive lineman. ... There just aren’t that many players who can line up in any down/distance and work the run and pass as well as Goldman. Effective interior pass rushers are like gold dust. Any chance you get to bring in a pocket-collapsing dynamo who makes life easier for the edge rushers should be taken. ... he’s into the backfield with an initial quick step and the athleticism to catch a linemen off guard. ... He’s also a terrific run defender. Goldman has no trouble plugging holes and remaining stout to shut down lanes. His speed off the snap works equally well here — having watched the Louisville and Clemson games again today he was forcing running backs to bounce outside with immediate penetration into the backfield."

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/malcom-brown-eddie-goldman-should-be-first-rounders

"I’ve spent a bit of time over the last week or so studying..Goldman...Eddie Goldman is different. You put on the tape and consistently his number jumps off the screen. ... He’s pretty close to the complete interior defensive lineman. ... There just aren’t that many players who can line up in any down/distance and work the run and pass as well as Goldman. Effective interior pass rushers are like gold dust. Any chance you get to bring in a pocket-collapsing dynamo who makes life easier for the edge rushers should be taken. ... he’s into the backfield with an initial quick step and the athleticism to catch a linemen off guard. ... He’s also a terrific run defender. Goldman has no trouble plugging holes and remaining stout to shut down lanes. His speed off the snap works equally well here — having watched the Louisville and Clemson games again today he was forcing running backs to bounce outside with immediate penetration into the backfield."

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/malcom-brown-eddie-goldman-should-be-first-rounders

He would be worth drafting just to screw the Seahawks and prevent them from taking him.

So in other words he is Star with pass rushing abilities. If that's the case then I'm on board!

He would be worth drafting just to screw the Seahawks and prevent them from taking him.

Seahawks don't have a first. They do have 11 overall picks with the first being @63. They'd about have to trade them all to get Goldman. They're also desperate for WR too so it's safe to say we will get a player they covet regardless just like we did last year with KB.

Part of me would hate that we wouldn't be going offense, but I can still see the logic in this pick. Like gettlemanjack mentioned, depth is very important for a well-functioning D-line. At first glance you would think that Goldman wouldn't get enough playing time, but that is not the case. Having 3-4 good DT's is a very good investment, which keeps your talent fresh on the field. Splitting Star, Short, Goldman, and Dwan 50/50 alone would give opposing offensive lines ZERO breathers.

It'd be like trying to pitch against the '96 New York Yankees. Who are you going to pitch around?

I'm all fine with depth. But we need STARTERS on offense

Well it did win him two super bowls.

Point was the Giants defensive line was dominant.

not always. In 2002, when Gettleman was in his 4th year as Pro Personnel Director for the Giants, the Giants had weak depth on the DL, and it cost them one of the most devastating losses in playoff history and one of the biggest debacles in Giants history

from a 2005 discussion on Football Outsiders:

Comment #36 by Jim A

One question about the D-Line I've never seen answered satisfactorily is why D-Linemen seem to be rotated more frequently than other position groups. Are there more specialization "platoon-type" advantages related to techiques to be gained on the D-Line? Is there not as much drop off in ability from starter to backup at the D-Line positions?

Comment #38 by Mike T

Jim, ... Defensive linemen have to run more than offensive linemen and often take more of a pounding (they are double teamed, etc.) ... a big defensive tackle who is winded won't run the play properly ...

Comment #44 by Charles

... this has a lot to do with wearing down teams in the 2nd half of games ... An example of a team not rotating defensive lineman and it coming back to haunt them would be the 2002 giants who blew the 24 point lead to the 49ers in the playoffs. The giants front four had no energy to chase garcia once the niners went no huddle and combined with fassel going conservative the lead was made up in no time. I remember afterwards fassel and strahan both saying that the defense was dead tired.

Comment #49 by Sean D

Every team that has depth will rotate their D-lineman .... The example of the 2002 Giants given before was an example of a team without depth on their line. I've never seen a team go into a season with 4 (or 3) guys on the D-line and go with a strategy of playing them the whole game. ...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/strategy-minicamps/2005/defensive-line-basics-mind-gap

Archived