• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met extensively with 6-4/336-pound DT Eddie Goldman

gettlemanjack

When is Stars contract up?

March 2017. He has a 4 year rookie contract, but he was our first round pick, so we'll have the option to add a 5th year, just like we did with Cam and will likely do with Luke by next month. We won't be able to add a 5th year to KK's deal, tho, since he was our 2nd round pick.

If Gettleman believes in BPA, the Panthers will end up with 3 DTs and 2 TEs from their 9 selections.

Honestly BPA is just a load of crap. I favor the philosophy of Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and Bill Belichick when it comes to the draft.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. We had 5 starters from last years haul. The only mistake he made was during TC by playing a numbers game with a 6th round pick that had a busted wheel. I think Walsh Landry and Hoodie would all approve.

This kid alone literally saved Florida State's season. We would be insane to criticize the pick if it happens. We'd have the most terrifying interior in all of defensive football.

In your opinion are we allowed to criticize any pick for any reason. .

It's hard to knock G-Man's ability to find players throughout the draft.  If he feels this is the best option at the pick, then I trust him (he hasn't really given us a reason not to yet).

When you have a GM who has the ability to hit on draft picks throughout the draft, the round a player is selected in is pretty insignificant.

Maybe this is a move knowing they won't be able to afford both Star and Short?  That's nothing more than speculation.

Part of me would hate that we wouldn't be going offense, but I can still see the logic in this pick. Like gettlemanjack mentioned, depth is very important for a well-functioning D-line. At first glance you would think that Goldman wouldn't get enough playing time, but that is not the case. Having 3-4 good DT's is a very good investment, which keeps your talent fresh on the field. Splitting Star, Short, Goldman, and Dwan 50/50 alone would give opposing offensive lines ZERO breathers.

It'd be like trying to pitch against the '96 New York Yankees. Who are you going to pitch around? 

Archived