• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met extensively with 6-4/336-pound DT Eddie Goldman

gettlemanjack

I can't settle with the thought of drafting a player in the first that probably won't start and probably doesn't upgrade our starting lineup.

if he's truly the BPA at our pick, than I maybe understand, but looking at our WR, DB, OL and OLB, there is bound to be a better option with all of them being questionably the BPA at our pick.

A pass rusher sure, but Goldman is a run stuffing NT which is increasingly a 2 down position in the NFL.

I am ALL FOR THIS

It sounds crazy, but keep your strengths strong.

Injuries, rotations.. no matter what we will have a dominant Dline that can stuff the run and fug up the QB at anytime.

Id be pumped

if Gettie drafts a dude like this then I will accept that he truly believes in BPA

Ain't that the truth.

I'm neither a hard line BPA or need guy.  I think you have to draft the right fit - the BPA for your roster.  Sometimes it works out that the true BPA is that guy and sometimes it doesn't.  We have a very good starting tandem of young DTs.  We need to get younger with our depth at DT, but damn, that's a tough sell to use the #25 pick on that when we have such obvious needs elsewhere.  The only way you make a pick like this is if you see this guy as the far and away #1 player available.  I don't care what GMs preach, need DOES play a role in picks.  It's factored in on the draft boards.  You're not going to take a DT at #25 overall if there's a WR, OT, S, etc. that is rated very close to that DT.  You gotta hedge toward need in that situation.

This pick would remind me of the Kuechly pick a few years ago. 

Draft night: "We have stud linebackers, this is stupid, FO is stupid as fug."

Season Opening: Jim Ross: "Oh my gawd, Kuechly broke the ball carrier's spine!" 

If we picked this guy, I'd be all for us taking out another ad in the newspaper stating the following:

Dear Jameis, Drew, and Matt,

Jameis welcome to the NFC South.  You want to know a little about the Panthers?  Sure!  All you need to know is that we are the Reigning, Defending, Undisputed Champions of the South for the foreseeable future.  

As a present for you and of course Drew and Matt, we drafted another friend named Eddie Goldman to keep you company for the next decade.  You guys are going to have so many fun adventures together!  We look forward to playing you twice every year!  Remember to play nice alright.  I mean what's a broken rib or two between friends?  What we're trying to say is, prepare thy anus.

P.S.  You all are rich now so we suggest you invest in the good lube.

Signed,

Charles Johnson, Star Lotulelei, Eddie Goldman, Kawann Short, and Kony Ealy

I would think that BPA goes like this:

BPA at your position of biggest need, list the guys you think are 1st round grades

If no first round graded players are available, go to the next step. If there is, draft that person.

BPA at your next position of need, same as above

If no first round graded players are available, go to the next step. If there is, draft that person.

Rinse and repeat until you reach the last position. If by some chance no one is available at any of those positions, then draft BPA regardless of position, and at least you are getting a young player at a position of strength.

If you do not evaluate everyone that you have a first round grade on, then you are not doing your due diligence, and could miss out on one of the BPA that is lower on your list. 

Need that elite d-line back like 2013.

He's a stud but he and Star play the same position and outside of goal line situations there would really be no reason to ever have them on the field at the same time. I know Cole has to be replaced sooner rather than later but doing so with a 1st round pick is terrible value in my opinion. There just aren't enough snaps for a 1 technique DT to justify having two 1st rounders there for me.

don't know how it was for 2014, but in 2013, both Star and Short both played 3-tech on about 2/3 of their snaps (and both played 1-tech on about 1/3 of their snaps). Edwards was almost exclusively a 3-tech, Cole a 1-tech. So if we have three guys we like primarily at 3-tech (Star, Short, Dwan), but only one we like primarily at 1-tech (Cole, who turns 35 in June), then it seems we have a need at 1-tech, and that is Goldman's position. So he is not just a BPA, he's a BPA at a position of need

here's the article breaking it down:

[edit: basically the url is blocked, it's another Panthers blog. Here's the pertinent info from his very detailed break-down...]

"Edwards was almost exclusively a 3-tech, Cole a 1-tech."

Kawann Short, 2013

68% at 3-tech

31% at 1-tech

Star, 2013

62% at 3-tech (his snaps at 3-tech went up when Dwan was hurt)

35% at 1-tech (his snaps at 1-tech went up when Cole was hurt)

if he's right with all that, then as best as i can tell, this is what we were looking at in 2013:

3-tech spot

374 snaps - Star

352 snaps - Short

298 snaps - D.Edwards

1-tech spot

310 snaps - Cole <----this is who Goldman would replace

211 snaps - Star

161 snaps - Short

36 snaps - D.Edwards

296 snaps - other/none

0-tech/2-tech/4-tech/etc spot

up to 296 snaps - ??

don't know how it was for 2014, but in 2013, both Star and Short both played 3-tech on about 2/3 of their snaps (and both played 1-tech on about 1/3 of their snaps). Edwards was almost exclusively a 3-tech, Cole a 1-tech. So if we have three guys we like primarily at 3-tech (Star, Short, Dwan), but only one we like primarily at 1-tech (Cole, who turns 35 in June), then it seems we have a need at 1-tech, and that is Goldman's position. So he is not just a BPA, he's a BPA at a position of need

here's the article breaking it down:

[edit: basically the url is blocked, it's another Panthers blog. Here's the pertinent info from his very detailed break-down...]

"Edwards was almost exclusively a 3-tech, Cole a 1-tech."

Kawann Short, 2013

68% at 3-tech

31% at 1-tech

Star, 2013

62% at 3-tech (his snaps at 3-tech went up when Dwan was hurt)

35% at 1-tech (his snaps at 1-tech went up when Cole was hurt)

if he's right with all that, then as best as i can tell, this is what we were looking at in 2013:

3-tech spot

374 snaps - Star

352 snaps - Short

298 snaps - D.Edwards

1-tech spot

310 snaps - Cole <----this is who Goldman would replace

211 snaps - Star

161 snaps - Short

36 snaps - D.Edwards

296 snaps - other/none

0-tech/2-tech/4-tech/etc spot

up to 296 snaps - ??

Get ready for Kyle love to get some playing time this year..

Archived