• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should draft a QB in 2015

Jeremy Igo

I'm ok with taking a QB late but Mannion is overrated IMO. He got everyone's attention by throwing for an impressive 4600 yards and 37 TDs in 2013. Then Brandon Cooks goes to the NFL and Mannion's numbers drop to 3100 yards and 15 TDs. If he gets drafted he should cut Cooks a royalty check.

DA's gonna be traded for a 3rd rounder, mark my words.

I like Anderson. He's everything you could want in a backup.

But that said, I think the notion of anyone trading anything higher than a 6th round pick for him is wishful thinking

I like Anderson. He's everything you could want in a backup.

But that said, I think the notion of anyone trading anything higher than a 6th round pick for him is wishful thinking

I like him too, but I think you underestimate the stupidity and desperation of some teams. A 3rd may be wishful thinking, but a 4th is completely reasonable and as much as I like him, a 4th would be worth more to us than him.

We should be able to find a decent QB in the 5th-7th rounds. We aren't expected to see him get any playing time with Anderson and Cam in front of him. The kid could be a project player because we will have time to develop him. We could also look at UDFA or other teams practice squads/ preseason cuts.

I believe Mannion is projected to be a mid round pick anyway. He isn't even top 5 qbs in the draft so we have a major chance of getting him in late rounds.

I like him too, but I think you underestimate the stupidity and desperation of some teams. A 3rd may be wishful thinking, but a 4th is completely reasonable and as much as I like him, a 4th would be worth more to us than him.

Don't see it myself, but I won't argue that teams do crazy, stupid things. Some of the contracts given out this year are proof of that.

I could see drafting a guy but with so many busts for every boom, I would be wary of a day one or two pick. Maybe one of the 5ths if there were a really good value pick. And a 7th is really a 9th pick for us so they would be destined to go to the practice squad most likely.

Of the 4 quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2011, the only guy still playing is Cam. Sure they last a year or two and then get dumped by the new best thing the next draft. I would rather pick up a UDFA such as my homer pick of Shane Carden. He has been working on his motion with Vinny Testeverde and already is great in the hurry up and no huddle offense which is something we are going to emphasize. Best of all he operated behind a terrible offensive line so he scrambled well and got the ball out fast. He would fit right in. When the season starts stash him on the practice squad and see how he develops. Little ventured in a project with good upside.

Of course if we found someone much better in the bottom of the fifth or beyond that would be great. After all they would be a long shot to make the team so they would have to clear waivers so we can stash them on the practice squad. If it were any higher we would have to keep them on the roster as our third quarterback and replace Webb which may not be easy. After all he plays special teams as well as runs the scout team. Important roles on the team for a third stringer. Otherwise he wouldn't clear waivers and we would lose the pick to someone who eyed him before we selected him. They would get our pick for free.

I could see drafting a guy but with so many busts for every boom, I would be wary of a day one or two pick. Maybe one of the 5ths if there were a really good value pick. And a 7th is really a 9th pick for us so they would be destined to go to the practice squad most likely.

Of the 4 quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2011, the only guy still playing is Cam. Sure they last a year or two and then get dumped by the new best thing the next draft. I would rather pick up a UDFA such as my homer pick of Shane Carden. He has been working on his motion with Vinny Testeverde and already is great in the hurry up and no huddle offense which is something we are going to emphasize. Best of all he operated behind a terrible offensive line so he scrambled well and got the ball out fast. He would fit right in. When the season starts stash him on the practice squad and see how he develops. Little ventured in a project with good upside.

Of course if we found someone much better in the bottom of the fifth or beyond that would be great. After all they would be a long shot to make the team so they would have to clear waivers so we can stash them on the practice squad. If it were any higher we would have to keep them on the roster as our third quarterback and replace Webb which may not be easy. After all he plays special teams as well as runs the scout team. Important roles on the team for a third stringer. Otherwise he wouldn't clear waivers and we would lose the pick to someone who eyed him before we selected him. They would get our pick for free.

I'm all for getting a UDFA QB over drafting one. I'm sure you have the same chance of finding a good QB in UDFA as you would in latter rounds. Mannion could drop and go undrafted, it wouldn't be the first time a late round prospect went undrafted.

If he's there in the 5th round and Gman thinks it's time to pull the trigger on a QB, fine. Cam is a QB that moves and he's going to get hit, a lot. He is one wrong hit away from his career being over. Brady was a 6th rounder. He's arguably one of the best to ever play the game. Bledsoe got hurt and the rest is history.

I don't want Cam to get hurt, no one does. But the chances of it are real and DA or Webb aren't long term answers. If it's Mannion or someone else who has the potential to be "the guy"' there's nothing wrong with planning ahead.

Archived