• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should draft a QB in 2015

Jeremy Igo

First off, and this won't be popular, but you also draft for QB depth when your current QB is in contract negotiations. It's just smart in case things go south quickly.

I really like Cam and love watching him play, but what if our management takes a hard look and says, "He's really good, even exceptional, but he hasn't moved into the top tier of elite QBs yet." Now they are looking at either signing a mega-deal for a QB that has hit their ceiling (think Michael Vick in his heyday, Tony Romo now, Phillip Rivers or even Andy Dalton) and tying up years of salary cap space for someone who is just good enough for one or two playoff games a year, but no Super Bowls. Will they keep that guy and give him the big money deal, or will they wish him well and try their luck again?

At any given time, there are about three legendary quarterbacks playing in the league, and about three more that can be considered elite. If you don't have one of those six, then it would be smarter to look for the next one.

Some GMs are going to start looking at how those top end rookie contracts are much more friendly now than they used to be. Pay a young shooting star a reasonable salary and build a team around them with better players, or put all of your money into one guy in hopes he can win it by himself? 

I hope Cam can be a career starter here in Carolina, but it would be foolish to bank on him staying forever. 

I'm curious, Zod. Just how high a pick would you spend on this kid? Would you use a 3rd if you thought he might be off the board before day three?

What about for someone like Garrett Grayson (the one we reportedly worked out) or Brandon Bridge?

(I can't imagine a D2 kid like Bonner going higher than in the 6th or 7th)

If he is there in round 5 he is probably the BPA and should be the pick. 

Not sure I would take him in 4. Might be higher value picks. 

They liked Grayson at the senior bowl, could be. I am hesitant to count on late round 6'2 QBs though. 

Even if we traded Anderson, I'm confident enough in Webb to be the back up. It would be a waste of a draft pick to get a QB. Mannion probably won't even get drafted.

You must not have watched Webb vs. the Packers in the playoffs... He wouldn't have won us those 2 Bucs games. Love Webb on the team as an all around QB but if Cam were to go down with him backing, we'd be fuged.

You must not have watched Webb vs. the Packers in the playoffs... He wouldn't have won us those 2 Bucs games. Love Webb on the team as an all around QB but if Cam were to go down with him backing, we'd be fuged.

I'm confident Webb could help win us a couple regular season games like he did with the Vikings.  Yet in any case, I don't think Anderson is going anywhere.  I can see him staying with us for the rest of his career.  So he is our franchise back up QB.

Derek Anderson will be here until he retires...his job is too cushy.  He tried being a starter and wasn't that great, but in Carolina he gets a chance to play because of Cam's playing style (which might knock him out a game here or there) but he doesn't have to risk injury and collects his fat paycheck anyway.  

I think Anderson will play a couple more seasons and then hang it up.  He has a family now here and stayed because of that, so I doubt the Panthers would trade him.

But with the extra picks in the 5th, it would be good to be looking for his backup.

Who knows the Mannion kid might set the world on fire and we can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd in a couple seasons.

that is the way the grown up organizations do it anyway

Derek Anderson will be here until he retires...his job is too cushy. He tried being a starter and wasn't that great, but in Carolina he gets a chance to play because of Cam's playing style (which might knock him out a game here or there) but he doesn't have to risk injury and collects his fat paycheck anyway.

If he gets what he wants. But when the Bills or whoever comes calling with a 3rd or 4th, Dave's pulling the trigger.

If he gets what he wants. But when the Bills or whoever comes calling with a 3rd or 4th, Dave's pulling the trigger.

When has Gettleman ever done anything like that before?  Wild speculation bro.  Anderson is a very valuable player and Dave's not shipping him off for a draft pick.  Family organization.  

Archived