• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should draft a QB in 2015

Jeremy Igo

this would be a smart move, though as others have said it's very doubtful anderson gets pulled in as a starter anywhere.

the only downside to a move like this will be grumpy overweight white men in their 60s calling to bench cam for this new kid who won't throw interceptions on purpose

If we draft a QB like Mannion, and I see it as a real possibility, we would probably stash him on the IR or cut Webb.  The point here is not that we need a backup QB, it is that we need a backup plan. 

Nobody here knows what the Cam camp is asking for and few here think about the big picture when benevolently agreeing to pay certain players a kajillion dollars to play.

Not many people realize this, but Gettlemen has to do the negotiations and he has limited funds.  I am convinced that drafting Ealy was to level the tables in the Hardy situation--or simply to get cheaper there.  I think he is looking for a LDE in this draft to release the team from CJ's stranglehold on the cap.  If we draft a Petty or a Mannion, then we know that a) we are drafting a backup QB when we don't seem to need one, and B) we can anticipate a brutal contract negotiations, because that move alone might raise the stakes a bit.  With franchise tagging, etc., the qb search and development could go on for a few years.

I like the idea because I am not sure that Cam's contractual demands will be what Carolina is willing to pay.   Even if Cam signs a 5-year deal, a good preseason or two out of Mannion and we have trade bait.

If we draft a QB like Mannion, and I see it as a real possibility, we would probably stash him on the IR or cut Webb.  The point here is not that we need a backup QB, it is that we need a backup plan. 

Nobody here knows what the Cam camp is asking for and few here think about the big picture when benevolently agreeing to pay certain players a kajillion dollars to play.

Not many people realize this, but Gettlemen has to do the negotiations and he has limited funds.  I am convinced that drafting Ealy was to level the tables in the Hardy situation--or simply to get cheaper there.  I think he is looking for a LDE in this draft to release the team from CJ's stranglehold on the cap.  If we draft a Petty or a Mannion, then we know that a) we are drafting a backup QB when we don't seem to need one, and B) we can anticipate a brutal contract negotiations, because that move alone might raise the stakes a bit.  With franchise tagging, etc., the qb search and development could go on for a few years.

I like the idea because I am not sure that Cam's contractual demands will be what Carolina is willing to pay.   Even if Cam signs a 5-year deal, a good preseason or two out of Mannion and we have trade bait.

WOW did you suggest Cam is future train bait?

edit-nevermind, I see what you're saying

No thanks. We have other needs. Just because we haven't drafted one in a while, doesn't mean we should. How many of our drafted QBs have ever panned out. Besides Cam. We have our man. We have DA and Webb. Would rather get Cam's backup through FA when needed and not waste a pick

I would rather spend one of our top pick on a qb when we have some serious qb problem i.e, when Cam is done...

Don't like it.  Too much of a luxury pick for me.  Still too many holes on the roster to spend a mid-round pick on a player we are actively hoping never actually has to play.

If you are using 4th or 5th round picks to fill immediate needs... you are doing it wrong. 

The Panthers won't have to do that this year thanks to previous years drafts. 

DA Said he was happy where he was when he re-signed last year.  He said his wife doesn't want to leave Charlotte, and that he could have taken a starter role somewhere else, but likes what he does for the Panthers.  He will most likely sign another 1-2 yr deal after this season.  I don't know if we go QB this draft, but we should look into it in the next couple of drafts.

If you are using 4th or 5th round picks to fill immediate needs... you are doing it wrong. 

Not necessarily starters, but I think we could find a young developmental LB or a younger rotational DT or possibly even Stew's successor at RB in the 4th or 5th rounds.  All of those guys would almost certainly get some run as rookies.

I'm curious, Zod. Just how high a pick would you spend on this kid? Would you use a 3rd if you thought he might be off the board before day three?

What about for someone like Garrett Grayson (the one we reportedly worked out) or Brandon Bridge?

(I can't imagine a D2 kid like Bonner going higher than in the 6th or 7th)

this would be a smart move, though as others have said it's very doubtful anderson gets pulled in as a starter anywhere.

the only downside to a move like this will be grumpy overweight white men in their 60s calling to bench cam for this new kid who won't throw interceptions on purpose

Just draft a black QB to hedge your bets

RUNS!

Archived