• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty gets a radio gig....

Jeremy Igo

All-Pro Receiver Steve Smith Sr. Joins SiriusXM NFL Radio

Two-time All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowl selection will host "The Opening Drive" every other Wednesday

NEW YORK – March 31, 2015 – Steve Smith Sr. – the two-time All-Pro and five-time pro Bowl wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers, currently with the Baltimore Ravens – has joined the roster of expert hosts on SiriusXM NFL Radio, channel 88. 

Smith will host The Opening Drive alongside co-host Bob Papa every other Wednesday live from 7:00 to 11:00 am ET.  He will be on tomorrow, April 1.  The SiriusXM NFL Radio channel is available to subscribers on satellite radios, on the SiriusXM app and online at SiriusXM.com.

“I'm extremely happy to join the SiriusXM NFL Radio team and to learn from my talented co-host, Bob Papa,” said Smith.  “Radio truly is one of the most unique ways to interact with fans.  Maybe one day I can make a full-time career out of it...if I'm lucky enough!”

Smith was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the third round of the 2001 NFL Draft after a standout collegiate career at the University of Utah.  He quickly emerged as one of the league’s most dynamic players.  In his first play as a professional, Smith returned the opening kickoff of the first game of the season for a touchdown.  His performance as a kick and punt returner that rookie year earned him his first trip to the Pro Bowl.  In 2005 he led the league in catches, receiving yards, and touchdowns. He spent his entire career with the Panthers until signing with the Baltimore Ravens for the 2014 season.  He is the Panthers' all-time leader in total touchdowns (67), receptions (836), and receiving yards (12,197). Smith also leads all active NFL players in all-purpose yardage.

Smith joins a roster of former players, coaches and front office executives on SiriusXM NFL Radio that includes Gil Brandt, Tim Brown, David Diehl, Mark Dominik, Rich Gannon, Brad Hopkins, Pat Kirwan, James Lofton, Anthony "Booger" McFarland, Jim Miller, Kirk Morrison, Bill Polian, Phil Savage, Takeo Spikes, Amani Toomer, Ross Tucker, and Solomon Wilcots.     

Has always been very opinionated and fairly open when he was on the air weekly with WFNZ. It was clear this was the route that he wanted to go moving forward. Should be even more interesting when he is out of the NFL entirely and free to speak his mind 100% instead of 90%. 

I also get the feeling there will be many threads titled...."Did you hear what Smitty said about the Panthers, Cam, Gettleman, etc !!!!"  on the Huddle in the near future. 

Archived