• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alan Ball was offered more money by Chicago

Jeremy Igo

I understand that part of it but you get raked over the coals for not bringing in talent or going on the cheap like Gettleman and Rivera have been accused of doing. If you dont hit on your draft picks you are in a world of hurt. Sure maybe you aren't missing much if you let folks go who you paid only a little for, but you also have a hard time fielding a competitive team if all you do is bottom fish because most times the talent is not there or they are damaged goods. Plus the reason we are not doing as many 1 year contracts is that you have no continuity and you have to rebuild the chemistry with a bunch of new guys every year.

Frankly I doubt Getts nor Rivera give two solid poo's what media/fans are saying.

The reason we did more two year deals had more to do with the players and future cap considerations to any kind of continuity magic.

Most if not all of our 2 yr deals are so incredibly cap friendly they might as well be written in crayon by my 3 yr old.

Frankly I doubt Getts nor Rivera give two solid poo's what media/fans are saying.

The reason we did more two year deals had more to do with the players and future cap considerations to any kind of continuity magic.

Most if not all of our 2 yr deals are so incredibly cap friendly they might as well be written in crayon by my 3 yr old.

I distinctly remember Gettleman saying going into 2014 that he was not going to do a bunch of one year deals because it caused too much turnover and impacted the chemistry and continuity of the team. Most of the deals even on a 2 year deal are backloaded so there is not a real cap saving as much as a manageable dead cap hit if we dump them after year 1. So if that is what you meant then I agree.

I distinctly remember Gettleman saying going into 2014 that he was not going to do a bunch of one year deals because it caused too much turnover and impacted the chemistry and continuity of the team. Most of the deals even on a 2 year deal are backloaded so there is not a real cap saving as much as a manageable dead cap hit if we dump them after year 1. So if that is what you meant then I agree.

Look em up.

Look em up.

You should know by now that before I responded I already did.  Look at Michael Oher.  His cap number for 2015 is 2.4 million and his 2016 number is 4.5 million.  But his dead cap space after 2015 if we dump him is only 1.25 million.  So the emphasis as I pointed out correctly was to limit the guaranteed money so his dead cap hit was manageable if he didnt work out. 

How about Ginn.  His cap hit in 2015 is 1.8 million and his cap hit in 2016 is 2.35 million.  But his dead cap hit if we cut him before the 2016 season is only 850,000.  If he were trying to just save cap space this year he would have made longer contracts with voidable years to lessen the current cap.  But with a ton of cap space next year he was find with cap hits going up next year as long as the guaranteed money was  limited so the hit of cutting them if they didn't pan out was manageable. 

Archived