• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alan Ball was offered more money by Chicago

Jeremy Igo

Gettleman himself basically admitted that he has been dealing at the dollar store. It's not like we're dealing with top FAs here. Some of these guys were washed up, old or whatever. I am not going to automatically assume that Ball is a scrub just because he is coming off of injury. We're only talking a million more. With Ball's quality of play in the past, it is pretty easy to argue that he was worth more than Carolina's offer.

As for Ginn and Mitchell, Ginn was paid to be a return

man and WR3 who rightfully lost his job to younger talent with more upside, and Mitchell was never starting material in the first place. I know that I was crying a river for either both of them, and thought they were grossly overpaid, relative to their true value. Mike Mitchell's contract was ludicrous.

Now one guy as it turns out who did not get overpaid was Brandon Lafell. The champion receiver proved worth every penny that he earned, that we weren't willing to pay him. I mean, is this an example of Gettleman screwing up? Probably not.

I predict that we are going to offer a couple of people that we have signed this year to a little better deal next year, just like we did with Dickson. That's just smart management when you look at our entire situation. But I wouldn't have even extended Dickson at the value Gman put on him. But, again it's not like we are dealing with big ticket items here, so no one is ultimately going to care one way or another.

So looking at his whole body of work, I am not going to put a feather in Gman's cap nor slap his knuckles with a ruler. It's easier to "get things right" when dealing at the bottom of the barrel and don't have a lot of money. Things get a little tougher when you step up in class.

Seems to me that a lot of your rationale falls under the "yes that's good, but..." category.

I know you're not the world's biggest Gettleman fan, and that's your right, but I have to say a lot of your rationale comes across as reaching.

We're talking about the economics here, P55.

People who are signed to cheap, one year deals, on contracts that should be structured in a way that mitigates losses if you have to send them packing are not players that usually get "paid". So, ultimately, no one is going to rake you over the coals for them.

People here spend endless time raking him over the coals for for such decisions. But these are the people who complain about everything and in the end they don't matter.

Anyone getting upset about this is obviously an idiot, but I've only seen maybe a few people all that bothered about it.

It's not like this guy was a top tier FA. Gettleman made an offer which he felt was reasonable, the player chose another team.

Seems to me that a lot of your rationale falls under the "yes that's good, but..." category.

I know you're not the world's biggest Gettleman fan, and that's your right, but I have to say a lot of your rationale comes across as reaching.

I am a big Gettleman fan, and have said so time and time again. I am just not going to "reach" in my effort to support him because I don't believe that you have to "reach" to do so.

Even in my post, I referred to the way that he goes about his business in the Panthers' situation as "smart management". Moreover, I have stated plenty of times before that I generally agree with his overall concept of team building, and have even offered articles to support his philosophy. I have even espoused having patience in reference to Gman  as being a good thing, even if some don't want to hear it. Now does that mean that I agree with every move that he makes, or doesn't make? No.

Just like many people disagreed that he keep Rivera, for example, I always said that he should keep Rivera because the same patience that you should extend to Gettleman---never mind the fact that Rivera's success is in many was tied to Gettleman, along with other parallels---you should extend to Rivera. I just couldn't see how it was fair to sack Rivera, and not Gettleman, given the situation. Some people were intent on making Rivera the fall guy, even making thread after thread about his possible replacements...Thankfully, Gman was a little bit smarter than many people gave him credit for, and I acknowledged his smartness at the time. In his interviews at the end of the season (and maybe right before the Combine), he acknowledged deficiencies in personnel, injuries and all that in his evaluation of the team---the same things that I used in order to say that Rivera needs at least another year.  Again, I acknowledged that Gettleman was a smarter and more fair minded manager than people here.  It's all in the record somewhere.  

Again, all that being said, I am not in total agreement with everything that Gettleman does, and I scoff at people who tell me that they are (the above thing in regards to Rivera as one example).  If it takes you to be in agreement with everything that a a person does to support that person, then no one would support anyone.  Gettleman has made some gaffes, and everything that he does is not necessarily what I would do, but I like Gettleman, and I agree with his underlying principles of team building because in my estimation they have been proven to work. Now, that being said, even though I generally like the way that Gettleman has handled things (even amid some differences, mainly about personnel and to a much lesser extent the money), I realize that as a GM he still has a ways to go before we can really determine what type of job that he is doing. I like the way that we are headed though.  

So, don't get it twisted.

Edit: And for anyone that has really been paying attention, my main criticisms of Gettleman have been the way that he has done some things that related to some handling of things in reference to off the field business---things that are not all that big in the grand scheme of things, though things that some Huddlers wanted to mis-characterize and/or attribute a much greater value to than I do, even if I brought them up.

Doesn't look like it was a ton more.

#Panthers Alan Ball offer: $1 mil signing $950K base $50K workout Up to $500K incentives #Bears: $1 mil signing $1.95 mil base $50K workout

About 500K and then another 500K he had to earn in incentives.

So you're talking anywhere from 500-1million$ difference.

Not a hard decision.

About 500K and then another 500K he had to earn in incentives.

So you're talking anywhere from 500-1million$ difference.

Not a hard decision.

That's basically it.  

Anyone who is trying to manipulate someone into thinking that it is indicative of G-man's failure or success is basically just more agenda driven---more concerned about supporting their own lame narrative for whatever reasons---than common sense driven as far as i'm concerned.

We're talking about the economics here, P55. 

People who are signed to cheap, one year deals, on contracts that should be structured in a way that mitigates losses if you have to send them packing are not players that usually get "paid".  So, ultimately, no one is going to rake you over the coals for them.

I understand that part of it but you get raked over the coals for not bringing in talent or going on the cheap like Gettleman and Rivera have been accused of doing.  If you dont hit on your draft picks you are in a world of hurt.  Sure maybe you aren't missing much if you let folks go who you paid only a little for, but you also have a hard time fielding a competitive team if all you do is bottom fish because most times the talent is not there or they are damaged goods.  Plus the reason we are not doing as many 1 year contracts is that you have no continuity and you have to rebuild the chemistry with a bunch of new guys every year.  

I assumed as much, money is the main factor for most free agents. He's getting about 50% more to play there ($3 million vs $2 million), not really a hard decision.

I agree with what CJ said but Ball isn't a young guy that's going to cash in on a big multi-year deal like Captain and Mitchell did. He's got to take the best deal he can get right now.

Thanks for the update.

I see why the panthers where upset, its all but done.......then the agents releases the details and gets a call form the bears but before ball has put ink to paper.

Again no hate for me, but I have started to worry about depth at CB.

Archived