• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers top 5 draft targets

Jeremy Igo

I'm not going to try and convince you since I see that you have been having an ongoing discussion with other posters and there's really not much to add. However, I will say that this staff has never said they want to run a RBBC. They have talked about having other backs involved, but that's a far cry from a RBBC. And we can't really go by what they have done in the past since Rivera pretty much had no choice but to try and make it work with D-Will and Stewart due to their contracts and locker room presence.

I do agree that we need explosive playmakers on offense, particularly at WR. However, if Gurley is what the draft experts claim he will be, and if Gettleman and Co. also think that's what he'll be, then he will be a clear difference maker on this team and the kind of player that strikes fear into defenses...the kind of player that you rarely land this late in the first. With that said, if we do take Gurley in the first, I'm sure they'll still try to get an explosive #2 for Cam, so I do not think for a minute they'll ignore the passing game.

With that said, if Gurley's gone at 25, I fully expect 57 to be a RB (maybe even with a trade up if there is a guy they like significantly more than the others). No matter how you slice it, I think they want to move on from Stewart with his contract and injury history after this year. So I don't see RB as a late draft pick like it has been the first couple of Gettleman drafts, it will be taken early, IMO.

They just said a few days ago that RB by committee is their philosophy. . And it's actually the best way to keep a unit freash and effective. .

I would rather have 2 cheap lower talented RB instead of one elite guy and every 3 years draft a 3rd rounder to add to the rotation when the other guys contracts come up and let them walk..

They just said a few days ago that RB by committee is their philosophy. . And it's actually the best way to keep a unit freash and effective. .

I would rather have 2 cheap lower talented RB instead of one elite guy and every 3 years draft a 3rd rounder to add to the rotation when the other guys contracts come up and let them walk..

They said that they wanted another back to share the load, but they didn't say it would be equal distribution of carries.  In fact, I read they want Stewart to get about 15 carries a game and our #2 to get about 8.  So that implies they really want one lead back, and a backup that can spell him.  And I'd submit that the number of carries they want for Stewart are limited due to his injury history...but that's obviously speculation on my part, but not unreasonable IMO. 

The thing is that yes, you can keep a guy fresher by sharing carries.  I don't know how old you are or how long you have been watching football, but back in the day, you'd see true #1 backs get better as the game went along.  They'd get stronger and more effective with more touches (something that I think would have benefitted Stewart the rare times he was healthy).  So yes, nowadays backs tend to be more rested late in games, but they also haven't built up any real momentum and have a harder time getting into the flow of the game.  So unless they are on a team with a  dominant OL, you don't see guys just wear teams down and take over the game like they used to.   

I really don't think that Justin Hardy will be available in the 3rd round, but if for some reason he's there when we pick in the 3rd, and we pass on him... I think I'll blow a gasket.

The Panthers have never drafted an ECU player.  Chris Johnson was a flash in the pan, Dwayne Harris is very underrated, Vonte Leach was a beast, David Garrard had a good career, as did Jeff Blake... among others.  I don't care if we draft ECU guys year in, year out... but Justin Hardy is a SURE THING.  I normally don't mind if we don't draft ECU guys, like I said... but this one will sting if we miss out on him.

Beastmode was traded for a 4th....... a freaking 4th.

I'm not getting into RB value, it has decreased and the media has overblown it as well. Elite is elite, I mean having a elite long snapper is great and is important....... but I trying to say is other teams realized you don't need to overspend for elite skills, when you can get great production at a faction of the cost. The current FA market, UDFAs, or mid-rounders have gotten results at lower cost than a huge contract or 1st. Sure its not 1,600 12 TDs, but 1,200 7 TDs at 5% the cost is getting better value. Getting great production form cheaper methods, is being smart. That's why RB is devalued, they are smarter about where they are spending their cap space on.

Chip is drugs or believe he's a god, jags and raiders didn't come close to the insane contract.

I'm not getting into RB value, it has decreased and the media has overblown it as well. Elite is elite, I mean having a elite long snapper is great and is important....... but I trying to say is other teams realized you don't need to overspend for elite skills, when you can get great production at a faction of the cost. The current FA market, UDFAs, or mid-rounders have gotten results at lower cost than a huge contract or 1st. Sure its not 1,600 12 TDs, but 1,200 7 TDs at 5% the cost is getting better value. Getting great production form cheaper methods, is being smart. That's why RB is devalued, they are smarter about where they are spending their cap space on.

Chip is drugs or believe he's a god, jags and raiders didn't come close to the insane contract.

I forgot that he got traded for a 4th wow!!

More like the Bills are just that damn dumb.  They thought Fred Jackson was the better RB then on top of that Lynch got hurt.  And he was traded for a 4th and a 5th, not just a 4th.

They probably thought they were fleecing the Seahawks in that trade.

Archived