• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers top 5 draft targets

Jeremy Igo

I don't understand your argument. An elite QB is the only individual player that virtually guarantees you a playoff spot.

Calvin Johnson had a near 2000 yard receiving season in 2012 and the Lions went 4-12. JJ Watt had perhaps the best individual defensive season in NFL history last year and the Texans missed the playoffs.

Luke and TD were 1st rounders. Do you regret those picks? Tom Brady was a 6th rounder and Wilson was a 3rd rounder, so QB value can be found in later rounds too.

I'm not saying for sure that I want Gurley at #25. Hell, there's several players I'd honestly rather have. But, this trend of zero 1st round RBs won't continue and the "RB position is devalued" line is way overplayed by the media as McCoy's and Murray's contracts demonstrate.

Elite Pass rush, secondary, Oline and QB can

all are way more valuable. .

McCoy just got traded to a team without a Qb..Which I already said is a situation for a elite RB. .

Than the Cowboys just showed the value of a RB as they let Murray walk..

You can have a good running game not spending money or high picks on RB'S. .

Good stuff zod.

Peat- big fan of, stated him being @ 25 is the same as star@13 .

Gurley- not of fan drafting early RBs. Injuries worry me, even before the ACL. Hope he's gone before 25.

Collins- in order to play ANY saftey spot in the current NFL. Its a must that you're able to cover TEs. I dont believe he can, that may change with a couple years of prime DB coaching. His value is that the next S has a 3rd round grade, so after him the value falls off the clif. He will go 1st, given the next group are very poor.

Strong- if perriman or dgb get picked early, strong could fall. I still believe he doesn't make it pass KC @18. If ricky wants him as do I.

Ogbuehi- don't want in first, but pleeeeeeease give me in second. Its true about if he didn't get hurt, top ten lock.

I'm add my super dark horse. The guy who cleans jerrys' golden toliet, said watch out for kevin johnson as a sleeper.

My point is that RB is not necessarily a "devalued position". The elite guys are still getting PAID and are highly valued. Just because there hasn't been a RB taken in the 1st round in the past two drafts doesn't mean the position as a whole is necessarily devalued. It's just a reflection of how those RB classes were evaluated in the draft process. The top FAs continue to be highly valued and highly paid and that says that the NFL still valued elite RBs.

It's devalued because the non elite guys aren't getting paid..

That shows you the value when a player like Shane Verreen is barely making bank..

Byron Maxwell isn't a elite CB but he is getting paid. . That shows you the value of different position. .

I have no issues with saying an elite DE, elite DB, elite OL, and elite QB are all more valuable than an elite RB.

I'm just saying why would you pass on an elite RB in the late 1st round if he's the best player on your board?  Reaching based on need or perceived value of a position gets team in trouble.  Some of our best draft picks were true BPA type picks.  Kuechly and Beason come to mind.  LB wasn't really a need when they were drafted, but both were great players for us.  Hell, Ealy wasn't really a need when he was drafted, but damn if he isn't needed now.

Part of the philosophy behind BPA is that situations are unpredictable and fluid.  You never know when the injury bug will bite someone or an off-field issue pops up or you can't get someone re-signed or whatever.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to pass on a guy like Gurley if Gettleman considers him a "blue goose" in order to take a DE, DB, or OT that we have a borderline 1st round grade on.

It's devalued because the non elite guys aren't getting paid..

That shows you the value when a player like Shane Verreen is barely making bank..

Byron Maxwell isn't a elite CB but he is getting paid. . That shows you the value of different position. .

Now that I agree with.  The only guys at RB who are getting paid are the elite (insert Hurney joke here).  But, if you grade Gurley as a elite, then he's worth a 1st rounder.  We'll see RBs with elite grades go in the 1st in the future. 

I have no issues with saying an elite DE, elite DB, elite OL, and elite QB are all more valuable than an elite RB.

I'm just saying why would you pass on an elite RB in the late 1st round if he's the best player on your board? Reaching based on need or perceived value of a position gets team in trouble. Some of our best draft picks were true BPA type picks. Kuechly and Beason come to mind. LB wasn't really a need when they were drafted, but both were great players for us. Hell, Ealy wasn't really a need when he was drafted, but damn if he isn't needed now.

Part of the philosophy behind BPA is that situations are unpredictable and fluid. You never know when the injury bug will bite someone or an off-field issue pops up or you can't get someone re-signed or whatever.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to pass on a guy like Gurley if Gettleman considers him a "blue goose" in order to take a DE, DB, or OT that we have a borderline 1st round grade on.

Again if he's there they have to take him because he will be BPA.. I just hope he isn't there and we can aviod giving value to a devalued position and the team can get a more impactful position. .

The true value is shown because non elite players at other position are getting paid like Elite RB'S. .

I agree that we need a #2 WR and help at OT, but you really think that Gurley would "barely get any touches"? LOL! We're one inevitable Stewart injury away from Fozzy Whitaker being our bell cow RB. Gurley would get plenty of carries.

Why bring up hypotheticals? So what if Cam gets hurt again? What if Kelvin gets hurt?

Let Stewart play out this season we have now 3 quality backs as his backups, for all we know Fozzy or Todman can be our versions of Justin Forsett. We can always draft a RB next season, give Cam a first round receiver or OT.

I can't believe this team would look at taking a chance in the first round on a player that is currently injured, wouldn't let teams look at his knee during the combine, and may not even be able to contribute much this season. It goes against everything Gettleman has preached. Last year he said he wanted someone who could come in and make an impact immediately.

RB's aren't used the same or valued the same as they were when we drafted Williams and Stewart. The league has evolved. To me you get the same kind of value in a later pick with a change of pace back that can come in right away and spot Stewart and Fozzy. 

My point is that RB is not necessarily a "devalued position". The elite guys are still getting PAID and are highly valued. Just because there hasn't been a RB taken in the 1st round in the past two drafts doesn't mean the position as a whole is necessarily devalued. It's just a reflection of how those RB classes were evaluated in the draft process. The top FAs continue to be highly valued and highly paid and that says that the NFL still valued elite RBs.

I think the "running back is devalued" argument is 90% media driven. I think it's largely garbage and fake. While I do think that the Oline is the most important element of a running game, the RB is not devalued.

One could point to the pass happy rules and that's not entirely untrue. But as much as the hyperbole of ESPN would have you believe, running the ball is still damned important. Sure there's anecdotal evidence that the Patriots don't need an elite RB. They and the Packers also made it to the SB one year with the worst defenses.

Is defense now devalued? Nonsense. People need to stop listening to talking heads and being caught up in the moment. The latest fad may very well just be a fading short term trend.

It still stands that running the ball and stopping the run puts a team in the best position to control a game. Sure some teams can win short term with heavy passing and no defense. That's the anomaly and not the rule. The running back is not devalued except in the minds of the media.

Why bring up hypotheticals? So what if Cam gets hurt again? What if Kelvin gets hurt?

Let Stewart play out this season we have now 3 quality backs as his backups, for all we know Fozzy or Todman can be our versions of Justin Forsett. We can always draft a RB next season, give Cam a first round receiver or OT.

I don't think Stew getting hurt is a hypothetical.  He hasn't played 16 games since 2011.  Since then, he's missed 20 games.  You can pretty much count on Stew missing some games.

I don't think Stew getting hurt is a hypothetical.  He hasn't played 16 games since 2011.  Since then, he's missed 20 games.  You can pretty much count on Stew missing some games.

Well we have Fozzy, Todman and Tolbert so I think we'll be fine if he misses a few games.

Let some other team draft Gurley.

I think the "running back is devalued" argument is 90% media driven. I think it's largely garbage and fake. While I do think that the Oline is the most important element of a running game, the RB is not devalued.

One could point to the pass happy rules and that's not entirely untrue. But as much as the hyperbole of ESPN would have you believe, running the ball is still damned important. Sure there's anecdotal evidence that the Patriots don't need an elite RB. They and the Packers also made it to the SB one year with the worst defenses.

Is defense now devalued? Nonsense. People need to stop listening to talking heads and being caught up in the moment. The latest fad may very well just be a fading short term trend.

It still stands that running the ball and stopping the run puts a team in the best position to control a game. Sure some teams can win short term with heavy passing and no defense. That's the anomaly and not the rule. The running back is not devalued except in the minds of the media.

Can't be a media driven Myth when

1. Rb aren't getting paid like they use to.. While other position are making more money RB'S are making less..

2. More teams are finding production out of later round guys..

3. People are trading elite RB'S and letting them walk in FA's .. McCoy just got traded for a LB coming off a injury "straight up".. Back in the days a elite RB could get you a draft ( Walker).. Now one injuried LB can get you a elite RB? ?

4. Out of all the new rules to help offenses.. The only new rule to help defenses is against RB..

Archived