• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers top 5 draft targets

Jeremy Igo

They didn't draft Lynch and they have paid him below value for years.. So it's worth it to them..

Has AP taken his team anywhere? ?

I think teams with QB issues draft RB in the 1st round. .

Teams with Franchise QB'S save money on RB..

AP certainly isn't why the Vikings haven't done anything during his tenure.  Do you look down on Barry Sanders because the Lions never did anything during his career?  A RB can only do so much.  Right or wrong, there's only two people on the sideline who carry a W-L record with them, the QB and the head coach.

If you listen to the media, Andrew Luck walks on water yet the Colts traded a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson.  That's the same as drafting a RB in the 1st round.  It didn't work out for them, but they did it.

The bottom line is that there hasn't been a RB drafted in the last two years, but three 2nd round RBs have absolutely produced like 1st rounders.  Hindsight being 20/20, those guys would've gone in the 1st.

Rivera says he likes a RB by committee approach, but I guarantee you that if he had an elite RB he'd be feeding him the ball.  If Stew would stay healthy he'd be getting fed.

To your last point, one way to get elite production on the cheap is to draft elite talent.

Their is value if he performs like Bell and Eddie Lacy then nobody would complain. Those two guys played a huge role in getting their team to the playoffs especially Levon Bell. If Todd Gurley can come in and preform at a high level he will do the same for us and give us the flexibility to move on from Stewart next season.

Both are 2nd round picks on cheaper contracts than Gurley would be.. And neither team was paying A J Stew for at least 2 more years..

Over the last three seasons, our leading rusher at RB generally has about double the carries of the #2 guy. Whether that's due to injury, effectiveness, or ywhatever, it is what it is. That's not really a committee. That's a clear starter and a #2.

But neither of the RB are getting the 300 touches like AP or Arian Foster. . Plus Cam is going to get some carries as well..

The value just isn't there..

They didn't draft Lynch and they have paid him below value for years.. So it's worth it to them..

Has AP taken his team anywhere? ?

I think teams with QB issues draft RB in the 1st round. .

Teams with Franchise QB'S save money on RB..

none of what you stated above answers the questions:

do the Seahawks make it to the Superbowl without Lynch?  Do the Seahawks win the last one if they hand it to Lynch?

The answers are unequivocally "No" and "Yes."  You were questioning the value of the running back position.  The right back clearly still has value, but the position has also changed as the shelf life of a feature back has shortened.

AP certainly isn't why the Vikings haven't done anything during his tenure. Do you look down on Barry Sanders because the Lions never did anything during his career? A RB can only do so much. Right or wrong, there's only two people on the sideline who carry a W-L record with them, the QB and the head coach.

If you listen to the media, Andrew Luck walks on water yet the Colts traded a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson. That's the same as drafting a RB in the 1st round. It didn't work out for them, but they did it.

The bottom line is that there hasn't been a RB drafted in the last two years, but three 2nd round RBs have absolutely produced like 1st rounders. Hindsight being 20/20, those guys would've gone in the 1st.

Rivera says he likes a RB by committee approach, but I guarantee you that if he had an elite RB he'd be feeding him the ball. If Stew would stay healthy he'd be getting fed.

To your last point, one way to get elite production on the cheap is to draft elite talent.

AP also wasn't the reason they've made any higher than one playoff win.. Having a elite RB doesn't coincide with making or do anything in the playoffs. .

As soon as the guys gets 300 carries they are not as effective the next season. . A RB shelf life is 3-5 years.. I want more than that out of 1st round pick. .

The value at RB like LB and Guard is in later rounds..

none of what you stated above answers the questions:

do the Seahawks make it to the Superbowl without Lynch? Do the Seahawks win the last one if they hand it to Lynch?

The answers are unequivocally "No" and "Yes." You were questioning the value of the running back position. The right back clearly still has value, but the position has also changed as the shelf life of a feature back has shortened.

Probably not.. But they also don't make it without Russell and that defense. . And I promise you Lynch is the first one gone when more defensive and Russell contracts come up..

Who has had more sustained success the Pats or the Seahawks??

Who are the Pats RB'S the last 10 years..

But neither of the RB are getting the 300 touches like AP or Arian Foster. . Plus Cam is going to get some carries as well..

The value just isn't there..

Correlation does not equal causation. 

Foster only carried the ball 300 times in a season twice.  Lynch has also only done it twice.  AP has only done it once in the last 5 years.

Everyone has that 300 number stuck in their head as the benchmark for a bell cow back, but 300 carry seasons just aren't all that common.  Last year, only DeMarco Murray and LeSean McCoy eclipsed 300 carries.  In 2013, only Lynch and McCoy.  A guy usually only has a couple of 300+ carry seasons in his tank.

There's nothing wrong with 250ish touches.  FWIW, Stew was on pace to have right around that number combining carries and catches if he'd played all 16 games.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Foster only carried the ball 300 times in a season twice. Lynch has also only done it twice. AP has only done it once in the last 5 years.

Everyone has that 300 number stuck in their head as the benchmark for a bell cow back, but 300 carry seasons just aren't all that common. Last year, only DeMarco Murray and LeSean McCoy eclipsed 300 carries. In 2013, only Lynch and McCoy. A guy usually only has a couple of 300+ carry seasons in his tank.

There's nothing wrong with 250ish touches. FWIW, Stew was on pace to have right around that number combining carries and catches if he'd played all 16 games.

When was last time a Rb got 250 carries on this team??

Probably not.. But they also don't make it without Russell and that defense. . And I promise you Lynch is the first one gone when more defensive and Russell contracts come up..

Who has had more sustained success the Pats or the Seahawks??

Who are the Pats RB'S the last 10 years..

Lynch will be gone 1st due primarily to age.  The Seahawks win with defense 1st, Lynch 2nd, and Wilson 3rd. 

Who's a better QB, Wilson or Brady?  If you have an all-time great QB, you don't necessarily need a bell cow RB.  I hope Cam can get to that level, but he isn't right now.  You take Lynch away from that Seattle squad and all of a sudden Wilson's life is much tougher.  Even Brady in his younger years got a lot of help for 1000+ yard rushers like Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon.  Same with Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James.  There's a reason why the Colts were willing to trade a 1st to try to get a bellcow RB behind Andrew Luck.  Little takes the pressure off of a developing QB like a workhorse RB.

When was last time a Rb got 250 carries on this team??

When was the last time a RB stayed healthy on this team?

And again, correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

I think the Gettleman and the staff want Cam to get fewer and fewer carries as he ages.  We've had to run him a ton early on in his career in order to compete, but I think they realize they're gonna wear him out if he continues to carry the ball 100+ times per year.

Cam has had 100+ carries in each of his 4 NFL seasons.  For comparison, Wilson and Kaepernick have only had 1 100+ carry season each.

When was the last time a RB stayed healthy on this team?

And again, correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

I think the Gettleman and the staff want Cam to get fewer and fewer carries as he ages. We've had to run him a ton early on in his career in order to compete, but I think they realize they're gonna wear him out if he continues to carry the ball 100+ times per year.

Cam has had 100+ carries in each of his 4 NFL seasons. For comparison, Wilson and Kaepernick have only had 1 100+ carry season each.

He will still get carries and hopefully they are as smart and try to improve the passing game and spend as little money possible on a devalued position. .

Lynch will be gone 1st due primarily to age. The Seahawks win with defense 1st, Lynch 2nd, and Wilson 3rd.

Who's a better QB, Wilson or Brady? If you have an all-time great QB, you don't necessarily need a bell cow RB. I hope Cam can get to that level, but he isn't right now. You take Lynch away from that Seattle squad and all of a sudden Wilson's life is much tougher. Even Brady in his younger years got a lot of help for 1000+ yard rushers like Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon. Same with Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James. There's a reason why the Colts were willing to trade a 1st to try to get a bellcow RB behind Andrew Luck. Little takes the pressure off of a developing QB like a workhorse RB.

I think Cam is past the point he needs a 1st round RB. . You start giving him the weapons on the outside and see what you have now...

But my point again was Sustained success can be had without ì paying a devalued position. .

AP also wasn't the reason they've made any higher than one playoff win.. Having a elite RB doesn't coincide with making or do anything in the playoffs. .

As soon as the guys gets 300 carries they are not as effective the next season. . A RB shelf life is 3-5 years.. I want more than that out of 1st round pick. .

The value at RB like LB and Guard is in later rounds..

I don't understand your argument.  An elite QB is the only individual player that virtually guarantees you a playoff spot.

Calvin Johnson had a near 2000 yard receiving season in 2012 and the Lions went 4-12.  JJ Watt had perhaps the best individual defensive season in NFL history last year and the Texans missed the playoffs.

Luke and TD were 1st rounders.  Do you regret those picks?  Tom Brady was a 6th rounder and Wilson was a 3rd rounder, so QB value can be found in later rounds too.

I'm not saying for sure that I want Gurley at #25.  Hell, there's several players I'd honestly rather have.  But, this trend of zero 1st round RBs won't continue and the "RB position is devalued" line is way overplayed by the media as McCoy's and Murray's contracts demonstrate.

My point is that RB is not necessarily a "devalued position".  The elite guys are still getting PAID and are highly valued.  Just because there hasn't been a RB taken in the 1st round in the past two drafts doesn't mean the position as a whole is necessarily devalued.  It's just a reflection of how those RB classes were evaluated in the draft process.  The top FAs continue to be highly valued and highly paid and that says that the NFL still valued elite RBs.

Archived