• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers top 5 draft targets

Jeremy Igo

You think they take Ogbuehi over Flowers, if they're both available?

Have they met with Strong? Hadn't seen that anywhere.

I don't think they have met with Strong either.  You can search online, that's what I did, I didn't see one website mention it.

i will be dissapointed with cedric and gurley just because the ACL tears and  I would like our first round pick to make an impact day 1. Although maybe gurley will i know cedric wouldn't. It's just that "i want it now" fan aspect.

I'll come around quickly though like I always do.

As the NFL Draft is one month away, I thought I would lay out for you who I believe are the Carolina Panthers top targets are in round 1. I've crunched the numbers, looked at the fit, checked the visitations, and listened to the whispers.

So without further ado....

Carolina Panthers Round 1 Possibilities

Andrus Peat - OT - Stanford

A NFL ready tackle that stands 6'7 and weighs 315 pounds. Have you heard the Panthers are in need of an offensive tackle? Yeah? Well, this could be the guy. It is somewhat doubtful that Peat lasts until pick 25, but it is possible. If he is there, he is the pick.

I like to think I read a ton of draft stuff but I haven't heard anything linking Peat to the Panthers. Why do you think this is the target?

i will be dissapointed with cedric and gurley just because the ACL tears and I would like our first round pick to make an impact day 1. Although maybe gurley will i know cedric wouldn't. It's just that "i want it now" fan aspect.

I'll come around quickly though like I always do.

AP had his best season coming off his ACL. TD has managed to revive his career after having THREE.

But if we are talking impact day 1 receiver or db is what would should be looking at

AP had his best season coming off his ACL. TD has managed to revive his career after having THREE.

But if we are talking impact day 1 receiver or db is what would should be looking at

i agree but looking at things in a vacuum isn't the best way. A lineman that big getting an ACL injury is a risk. Even if the probability everything turns out ok. Amini was not the same last year. He always struggled mentally but he never got manhandled as bad as we saw last year.

I think Gurley is going to be just fine though. Honestly I'll be happy with the pick either way because adding talent to this team is always fun. We'll see.

One thing I would like to say--We all say, "So and So will be there in the second, Billy Bob is not a first round talent., etc" because we read what non-experts put on web sites. 

If you look at every name on that list (no DEs, Jeremy?  Interesting) , you see a very practical reason we would have that person as highly regarded.  I remember seeing Duke Robinson as a first/second rounder a few years back and was ELATED to take him in the fifth (I think).  Heck, he was awful. 

Take Ogbuehi, for example.  A late first rounder for a T that was perhaps to be (since Scherff is now on the G radar) the #1 T in the draft.  He has all the tools.  He needs time to develop.  A healthy Ogbuehi would be on everyone's list in the first, but Oher can hold it down until he is ready.  Do I want to see our #1 pick play immediately?  Yes.  Do I think Gettlemen would take Ogbuehi in the second round?--no doubt.

Collins may be a steep price for a SS in our system.  I just see us focusing on the front seven and DBs are role players.  Draft is not deep here, however.  I just don't see him here, which probably means this is the pick.

Peat is built as if his sole purpose is to play OT.  His thighs are huge, which really shows up in the run game.  I am guessing he is the favorite if on the board because he is so perfect for our scheme.

Strong has secretly been my favorite, probably because we need a stud #2 and there is a big dropoff in talent at WR after him.  I think I do not want Jennings here so Gettlemen will draft a WR early.  I want Cam to develop chemistry with a young, core of WRs who will grow older with him.  Stupid reason, but it is how I feel.

Gurley--talk about a dynamic, play-making, hard-nosed back.  He is special.  We want to run more, so I see this.  It will make people mad, until he takes over a game like Stephen Davis did during our super bowl year.  I think he is Peterson good.

Archived