• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers top 5 draft targets

Jeremy Igo

As the NFL Draft is one month away, I thought I would lay out for you who I believe are the Carolina Panthers top targets are in round 1. I've crunched the numbers, looked at the fit, checked the visitations, and listened to the whispers.  

So without further ado.... 

Carolina Panthers Round 1 Possibilities

Andrus Peat - OT - Stanford

A NFL ready tackle that stands 6'7 and weighs 315 pounds. Have you heard the Panthers are in need of an offensive tackle? Yeah? Well, this could be the guy. It is somewhat doubtful that Peat lasts until pick 25, but it is possible. If he is there, he is the pick. 

Todd Gurley - RB - Georgia

Aside from the injury, there isn't much not to love about this kid. The future of Jonathan Stewart is less than certain for next season. Gurley is one of the more talented runners to come out of the draft in years. If he should fall to 25, Gettleman would have a tough time not selecting him. Huge value at 25. 

Landon Collins - S - Alabama

Had a nice meeting with the Panthers a while back. He is a prototypical Ron Rivera strong safety, that is to say he is aggressive against the run. Many will tell you he can't cover, but don't listen to them. You aren't rated the #1 safety in the draft if you cannot play in the defensive backfield. Could replace Roman Harper on day 1. 

Jaelen Strong - WR - Arizona St

As stated in my current receiver depth chart, the Panthers are without a solid #2 receiver to compliment Kelvin Benjamin. Well, Jaelen Strong could be the ideal guy at pick 25 to fill that need. Not the fastest receiver in the draft, but makes up for it in routes, hands, work ethic, and instincts. Gettleman prefers these types of players as seen in previous drafts. (insert "the game is not played in underwear" audio clip)

Cedric Ogbuehi - OT - Texas A&M

An offensive tackle with a torn ACL in round 1? Yes, it could happen. If none of the above prospects are available in round 1, I feel the Panthers are interested enough in Ogbuehi to select him. If not for the ACL injury, Cedric is easily a top 10 pick. Like Gurley, it would be hard for Gettleman to pass up this kind of value. Remember, Gettleman is a 5 year plan guy. Selecting a player that may not play his rookie year is very possible. 

So there you have it, five guys I feel have a good shot at being selected in round 1 by the Panthers. 

It seems like those are in order of precedence. Or maybe that's me. Honestly, I'd be comfortable and happy with every single one of those picks. Different expectations for each of course. But each would be a good addition now or in the future based on potential and past production.

I agree completely :)

One caveat,...If Flowers is there then he is def thrown into the discussion. I don't think he will be though

Can't see him getting by Detroit. But Peat probably won't either. I didn't want to fill my top 5 with tackles. I live on the edge. 

I think Cedric will go somewhere in the second and we can move up and get him while taking a playmaker in the first with Gurley or Strong.

I don't see us reaching for an OT as we would not do it last year.

Gosh, this is my favorite time of year.  Love all the speculation and back and forth

Archived