• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chargers pick up former 1st rd DT Travis Johnson

Gscottnc5

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/chargers-acquire-former-first-rounder-travis-johnson/

Chargers acquire former first-rounder Travis Johnson

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 31, 2009 2:48 PM ET

The Texans have made a habit of drafting defensive linemen in the first round.

Some have worked, notably Mario Williams.

More have not panned out, including Jason Babin and Travis Johnson, who the Texans gave up on Monday when they dealt him to the Chargers.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Chargers gave up a sixth-round pick that will turn into a fifth-rounder if Johnson meets minimum playing time requirements.

Unlike Babin, Johnson has displayed starting-caliber skills at some points in his career. This deal seems like a good risk for San Diego. The Texans were just fed up with his inability to stay healthy and there have been whispers about his work ethic.

It's unclear if Johnson will play nose tackle or defensive end in San Diego's 3-4 scheme, although we'll guess that he is a reserve at end.

Any thoughts Guys?

Wow. We could've dealt a 6th for him? I would have. Problem is, I don't think he fills the needs we have at DT. He's a leaner, pass-rush type guy, and he hasn't even been that good at doing that.

There's more to the decision. We STILL have cap issues and he is making 1st round pick money. Unlikely we could fit him without a re-structure. Not worth the effort for a high risk. If we do that, we need to be more sure of the fit.

The Texans were fed up with Johnson's inability to practice, but they've just given up their most gifted run stopper. The compensation is minimal for a 27-year-old with starting talent, making the deal a steal for Bolts GM A.J. Smith. Johnson, the 16th overall pick in 2005, could play either end or the nose in San Diego's 3-4, where depth is needed behind aging NT Jamal Williams. Houston's run defense has struggled this preseason and now looks worse.

uggg

The guy is a bust. Lazy, ineffective and can't stay healthy. And we'd have to pay him first round money. No thanks.

I know alot of you guys are going to complain everytime a DT gets scooped up by another team but we need to bring in someone that's starter quality and this guy isn't it. Sure, he might be better than Nick Hayden but that's not exactly a sparkling endorsement. He won't fill the void we have at DT, let's wait and get someone better.

The guy is a bust. Lazy, ineffective and can't stay healthy. And we'd have to pay him first round money. No thanks.

I know alot of you guys are going to complain everytime a DT gets scooped up by another team but we need to bring in someone that's starter quality and this guy isn't it. Sure, he might be better than Nick Hayden but that's not exactly a sparkling endorsement. He won't fill the void we have at DT, let's wait and get someone better.

Hey, I wasn't complaining. I have faith in Hurney and Fox. They have done a great job, IMO, and they are up to something. I just wanted suggestions. That's all. :cool:

Any way, I saw somewhere that by Saturday, 30% of current NFL preason roster will be cut. We'll find something in that I would hope

Archived