• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jarrett Boykin Info

Jeremy Igo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jarrett Boykin the fist free agent that came in for a visit?  I know that he came in very early once free agency began.

And people think that G-man put that kind of priority on a guy that he considers will be a camp body?  

Oooooooookay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jarrett Boykin the fist free agent that came in for a visit?  I know that he came in very early once free agency began.

And people think that G-man put that kind of priority on a guy that he considers will be a camp body?  

Oooooooookay.

He visited in the same bunch as Teddy Williams, the 20th ranked free agent CB. Camp bodies.

Don't worry, we are all noting how big you are on Perriman and how you don't think Corey Brown makes the team.

We will see.

The real story on Perriman won't be finished until probably a few years from now. But let it be known that Agholor and Hardy are actually my favorite receivers in the draft, and I am just as big, if not more, on them.

No, I don't think Corey Brown will ultimately make the team, but so what.  You don't think that camp body, bad-handed Boykin will make the team either.

When WR is perhaps the biggest need on your team, you can't really afford to have players taking up a WR spot who can't actually play WR and only contribute on special teams.

Boykin is not a terrible receiver though. He's on pretty much the same level compared to the other guys and in that case the roster spot goes to the guy who will actually contribute in games. The 5th receiver pretty much never plays and typically only sees the field on offense when there is an injury. It's all about maximizing the use of your already limited roster spots. To be clear im not thrilled about Boykin as a WR but given what happened with the special teams and the teams focus on improving that unit this offseason I think it is a good bet he makes the team.

Out of curiosity how many receivers did we carry on the 53 man last year? Of those how many did we have active on game day?

I know it might have changed some during the season but trying to get an idea of our standard distribution.

5 on the roster with all 5 active unless there was an injury. I think Webb was the emergency WR5 in those situations.

• 4 months later...

I remember either the Duke or UNC game his senior year the sideline showed what he was wearing, it was like two torn gloves morphed into one just so he could wear it. They are massive.

I posted in the other thread and maybe its the hokie bias that I have but I like the signing. I was tweeting Frank Garcia and the other guys at 610 about him and they wanted to hear nothing of it.

The kid can play ST. He has registered 3 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD and 7 Tackles on Special Teams. How many WR UDFA do you know of that have done that on special teams? Frank teaches ST himself up at Tech and makes it a point of emphasis that anyone can fill in on ST no matter your role.

On top of his special teams ability, he has shown flashes of being a capable WR in the leauge. Like other posted, in 2013 he had almost 700 yards and 50 catches for 3 TDs. Don't forget that qas the season Aaron Rodgers was hurt. He had Matt Flynn and Sennaca Wallace throwing the ball to him. Throw that myth out that Rodgers was throwing him open that year.

At Virginia Tech he is the all time leader in Receptions and Yards. Beating out players like Andre Davis, Eddie Royal (the one people were having orgasms about signing this off season), Antonio Freeman. (Frank Garcia tried to point out that Armanti Edwards was an all american to this arguement but didnt mention his pro career)

Am I expecting Boykin to come in and be the next Moose or Steve Smith? Would that be amazing? Yes. Realistically he could out produce Bersin or Corey Brown and also be a ST ace. He will be on the disadvantage of coming in learning a new system and proving he belongs compared to being established like those guys. In my book Id rather have a 3rd/4th WR that can also produce on ST compared to a guy who is only a 3rd/4th WR.

cough cough ill just leave this here after this 2nd preseason game

Archived