• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jarrett Boykin Info

Jeremy Igo

Drops may not be an issue, but even in 2013 when he received 83 targets, he only caught 49 balls. That's only converting on 59% of his targets with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball. Other GB WRs that year:

Randall Cobb 31 of 47 = 66%

James Jones 59 of 93 = 63.5%

Jordy Nelson 85 of 127 = 67%

Drops may not be an issue, but even in 2013 when he received 83 targets, he only caught 49 balls. That's only converting on 59% of his targets with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball. Other GB WRs that year:

Randall Cobb 31 of 47 = 66%

James Jones 59 of 93 = 63.5%

Jordy Nelson 85 of 127 = 67%

He was basically a rookie, but even that aside, the drop rate is based upon catchable balls.  You shouldn't penalize him for conversion percentage. Furthermore, one of the reasons why the Packers let James Jones go was because of Boykin's emergence.  

And you didn't even mention that Boykin had most of his production with Flynn and Wallace throwing him the ball.

Edit: And lastly, the drop thing was misleading.

So Boykin is not as good as Nelson, Jones, or Cobb? I am shocked :)

I just want the kid to get a fair shake.  I don't think that there is any need to lead people into thinking that he has bad hands, when his body of work is really indicative of the contrary.  Hell, he could come here and totally wash out.  Maybe he got shook by the pressure of Davante Adams or something. Maybe something else was going on. But I don't think that his relatively short career as a pro should be defined by three drops that led him to the bench behind an obviously more talented receiver.

I mean, he's just coming in to hopefully provide some competition in a receiving corps that desperately needs an upgrade. He plays special teams, is an effective toute runner, has gotten nice YAC playing the number 3, is a more than apt down field blocker, and all things considered has better hands than most if not all of our guys.  Let's just be true to his record before we relegate him to Bersin or Underwood status.

He is doubtful to make the final roster at this point.

Could he come into camp and earn a spot? Sure, but it's an uphill climb.

He plays all four phases of special teams effectively which gives him a huge advantage over his competition for the 4th and 5th WR spots. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it.

Last year he started out the #3 WR then lost his job to Adams after a few games into the season because of his drops and lack of production. To his defense game 1 was against the Seahawks. From week one on it just seemed like something was off with him. Who knows what but he is our guy now and he has potential to be a solid player for us.

He plays all four phases of special teams effectively which gives him a huge advantage over his competition for the 4th and 5th WR spots. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it.

I wouldn't.

There will be 1 maybe 2 slots up for grabs. A good number of decent prospects will be cut. That's a good thing, says the Panthers are improving.

I wouldn't.

There will be 1 maybe 2 slots up for grabs. A good number of decent prospects will be cut. That's a good thing, says the Panthers are improving.

If they were to be judged solely on their receiving skills then yeah but my point is he offers a lot more than just as a receiver and you need that from your bottom of the roster guys. That gives him a major advantage over guys like Bersin, Brown, Hill and even Cotchery who don't offer that when cut down time comes.

If they were to be judged solely on their receiving skills then yeah but my point is he offers a lot more than just as a receiver and you need that from your bottom of the roster guys. That gives him a major advantage over guys like Bersin, Brown, Hill and even Cotchery who don't offer that when cut down time comes.

Receivers aren't the only ones that can do what Boykin does on special teams.

When WR is perhaps the biggest need on your team, you can't really afford to have players taking up a WR spot who can't actually play WR and only contribute on special teams.

That's true, but Boykin can play WR with just about any receiver on the roster.

Archived