• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jarrett Boykin Info

Jeremy Igo

I remember either the Duke or UNC game his senior year the sideline showed what he was wearing, it was like two torn gloves morphed into one just so he could wear it. They are massive.

I posted in the other thread and maybe its the hokie bias that I have but I like the signing. I was tweeting Frank Garcia and the other guys at 610 about him and they wanted to hear nothing of it.

The kid can play ST. He has registered 3 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD and 7 Tackles on Special Teams. How many WR UDFA do you know of that have done that on special teams? Frank teaches ST himself up at Tech and makes it a point of emphasis that anyone can fill in on ST no matter your role.

On top of his special teams ability, he has shown flashes of being a capable WR in the leauge. Like other posted, in 2013 he had almost 700 yards and 50 catches for 3 TDs. Don't forget that qas the season Aaron Rodgers was hurt. He had Matt Flynn and Sennaca Wallace throwing the ball to him. Throw that myth out that Rodgers was throwing him open that year.

At Virginia Tech he is the all time leader in Receptions and Yards. Beating out players like Andre Davis, Eddie Royal (the one people were having orgasms about signing this off season), Antonio Freeman. (Frank Garcia tried to point out that Armanti Edwards was an all american to this arguement but didnt mention his pro career)

Am I expecting Boykin to come in and be the next Moose or Steve Smith? Would that be amazing? Yes. Realistically he could out produce Bersin or Corey Brown and also be a ST ace. He will be on the disadvantage of coming in learning a new system and proving he belongs compared to being established like those guys. In my book Id rather have a 3rd/4th WR that can also produce on ST compared to a guy who is only a 3rd/4th WR.

Did he have those special team stats last season or is that his career total?

Now that the Panthers have signed a former Green Bay Packers receiver, and not the one everyone was hoping for, I thought I would provide a little info for people who may not know who he is.

Jarrett Boykin - WR - Virginia Tech - 6'2 - 218lbs

Attended Butler High School in Matthews.

Went undrafted in 2012 and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars who promptly released him. He then made the Green Bay squad (impressive for an undrafted rookie) and even got some playing time.

His performance since then? Not so good.

Pro Football Focus grades him:

2012: -2-2

2013 +2.2

2014: -7.1

From the looks of it, he is the Packers version of Brentin Berson... which is ironic considering they may have played high school football against one another in Charlotte.

So what does it mean for the Panthers?

Boykin making the team isn't a sure thing. Receiver signings are not guaranteed a roster spot, something we learned from Tiquan Underwood last season. Like Underwood, Boykin has had a career plagued with drops. He could very well have the same outcome here in Carolina.

At best, Boykin is a special teams contributor and possibly a #3 or #4 receiver (something the Panthers already have plenty of). At worst he gets reps in training camp.

Overall, a low risk medium reward signing for the Panthers.

Fun fact: He was committed to App State but at some point flopped to Virginia Tech.

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread but a pretty good amount of information on Boykin can be found here, even though its a year old:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1972898-why-mike-mccarthy-is-so-high-on-packers-wr-jarrett-boykin

If you don't feel like reading here's my summary:  He's a good route runner and run blocker who can be surprisingly shifty with the ball.  Also he's strong and has huge hands.  

I remember either the Duke or UNC game his senior year the sideline showed what he was wearing, it was like two torn gloves morphed into one just so he could wear it. They are massive.

I posted in the other thread and maybe its the hokie bias that I have but I like the signing. I was tweeting Frank Garcia and the other guys at 610 about him and they wanted to hear nothing of it.

The kid can play ST. He has registered 3 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD and 7 Tackles on Special Teams. How many WR UDFA do you know of that have done that on special teams? Frank teaches ST himself up at Tech and makes it a point of emphasis that anyone can fill in on ST no matter your role.

On top of his special teams ability, he has shown flashes of being a capable WR in the leauge. Like other posted, in 2013 he had almost 700 yards and 50 catches for 3 TDs. Don't forget that qas the season Aaron Rodgers was hurt. He had Matt Flynn and Sennaca Wallace throwing the ball to him. Throw that myth out that Rodgers was throwing him open that year.

At Virginia Tech he is the all time leader in Receptions and Yards. Beating out players like Andre Davis, Eddie Royal (the one people were having orgasms about signing this off season), Antonio Freeman. (Frank Garcia tried to point out that Armanti Edwards was an all american to this arguement but didnt mention his pro career)

Am I expecting Boykin to come in and be the next Moose or Steve Smith? Would that be amazing? Yes. Realistically he could out produce Bersin or Corey Brown and also be a ST ace. He will be on the disadvantage of coming in learning a new system and proving he belongs compared to being established like those guys. In my book Id rather have a 3rd/4th WR that can also produce on ST compared to a guy who is only a 3rd/4th WR.

I was going to sum up Boykin during his VT days, but hard to beat this. He's a competitor and yeah, he didn't really make a splash in GB, but he was also playing behind some pretty good guys that got a lot of looks and rightfully so. He did at least make the GB roster, which is a better receiving core than ours. That and McCarthy seemed to speak highly of him.

I wouldn't exactly write Boykin off as camp fodder, he'll push guys like Bersin and Brown, maybe even Cotchery after we add a WR in the draft. His ST play gives him a nice advantage.

Always nice to have some competition, even if its for a 3rd or 4th WR.

Now that the Panthers have signed a former Green Bay Packers receiver, and not the one everyone was hoping for, I thought I would provide a little info for people who may not know who he is. 

Went undrafted in 2012 and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars who promptly released him. He then made the Green Bay squad (impressive for an undrafted rookie) and even got some playing time. 

2013 +2.2

From the looks of it, he is the Packers version of Brentin Berson... which is ironic considering they may have played high school football against one another in Charlotte.

Boykin making the team isn't a sure thing. Receiver signings are not guaranteed a roster spot, something we learned from Tiquan Underwood last season. Like Underwood, Boykin has had a career plagued with drops. He could very well have the same outcome here in Carolina. 

At best, Boykin is a special teams contributor and possibly a #3 or #4 receiver (something the Panthers already have plenty of). At worst he gets reps in training camp. 

2013 is really the year that people should be focused on as far as stats are concerned. He only had 18 targets between the other two.

Your PFF comment and the Brenton Bersin comparison are misleading in my estimation. 

2013 +2.2

I mean, come on, Jeremy.  You are doing Boykin and the Huddle a disservice with this OP. It's just wrong.  Not only did you fail to mention the paltry targets in 2012 and 2014 and advise people that 2013 was the year that hopeful fans should give the most credence to, and not only did you compare the man to Bersin who you know is far from a Huddle favorite, you then say that Boykin "has had a career plagued with drops."  If you look at 2013 where he had 2 drops and on 83 targets, his drop rate was only 2.4 percent.  Sure last season wasn't a good rate at 25 percent, but he only had 12 targets. Perhaps he had something on his mind or something, I don't know, but that little bit of a sample is not enough to say that he has been plagued with drops, especially when you take his whole body of work into account. What about his rookie season (another small sample) where he had a 0 percent drop rate on 6 targets (but 5 total catches, mind you)?

Like I said, perhaps something was going on last season early on with him. He had 3 drops and landed in the doghouse. But up until then, even in college, drops were not even on this kid's radar..

Archived