• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jarrett Boykin Info

Jeremy Igo

Now that the Panthers have signed a former Green Bay Packers receiver, and not the one everyone was hoping for, I thought I would provide a little info for people who may not know who he is. 

Jarrett Boykin - WR - Virginia Tech - 6'2 - 218lbs

Attended Butler High School in Matthews. 

Went undrafted in 2012 and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars who promptly released him. He then made the Green Bay squad (impressive for an undrafted rookie) and even got some playing time. 

His performance since then? Not so good. 

Pro Football Focus grades him:

2012: -2-2

2013 +2.2

2014: -7.1

From the looks of it, he is the Packers version of Brentin Berson... which is ironic considering they may have played high school football against one another in Charlotte.

So what does it mean for the Panthers?

Boykin making the team isn't a sure thing. Receiver signings are not guaranteed a roster spot, something we learned from Tiquan Underwood last season. Like Underwood, Boykin has had a career plagued with drops. He could very well have the same outcome here in Carolina. 

At best, Boykin is a special teams contributor and possibly a #3 or #4 receiver (something the Panthers already have plenty of). At worst he gets reps in training camp. 

Overall, a low risk medium reward signing for the Panthers. 

Whatever, we just don't want too many people competing for snaps. Also not forgetting some players are TC champs but regular season chumps. With the way our coaching stuff seems to trust veterans over newbies, the last thing we need is some pretender taking away a valuable spot.

Boykin may surprise as a nice #3 if he can get it back together. I am not holding my breath though. At the same time, I feel he has just as much a possibility of making the cut as anyone not named Benjamin. He will get his opportunity. I know a few people who should be worried, from the aged to the young and the restless.

Archived