• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

With the Carolina Panthers owning a total of three picks now in the fifth round of the NFL draft, I figured round five deserves its own mock draft. 

We know the Panthers can  trade only one of these picks, and after last year's draft trade that is very possible. However, for purposes of this mock I will assume the Panthers keep all three. 

Here are three players I feel would be among the best players available and also fill a need. 

Justin Hardy - WR - East Carolina

5'10 192lbs

Hardy isn't a top receiver in this draft due to his less than stellar measurables, but if we know one thing about Dave Gettleman's drafting it is that he doesn't give a hoot about measurables. Gettleman was able to find gems like Benwikere and Boston last year in the mid rounds because of their slow 40 times.

What Hardy can do is run block, run crisp routes, and catch the ball. In short, Hardy is a real football player, which has been common theme in my mocks this season. He has one of the lowest drop percentages in the draft this season, possibly due to his ginormous mits. 

WaryNegativeGuineafowl.gif

Austin Sheperd - OT/OG - Alabama

6'4 315lbs

I really like this kid the more I look at him, and its not just his beard....

2552495.jpg

By now you know what I look for in offensive linemen. Big mean guys from legit football programs. Well, Sheperd fits that bill nicely. 

He isn't a prototype physical specimen, but I don't care. He makes up for it  in instincts, timing, and technique. Some have him listed as a tackle but I see him as a solid guard at first. His arms may not be long enough to be a tackle in the NFL. He started every game for Bama at right tackle in 2014, so I am guessing he could be used there in an emergency for the Panthers. 

Sheperd would immediately give Chris Scott and Amini Silatolu a run for their money at backup guard. Not bad for a late 5th rounder. 

(#79)

giphy.gif

Ladarius Gunter - CB - Miami (FL)

6'1 202lbs

Big physical corner that teams are coveting now. Gunter gets a lot of comparisons to Josh Norman. Has good size and overall athletic ability. Practices well. Has gotten lost at times in coverages, just as Norman did early in his career. In the late fifth round, this kid would be worth the investment as a future project. 

Did well at the senior bowl, showed he is teachable. That may have raised his stock from the 6th or 7th rounds to the 5th. 

3rqvu.gif

Also, has special teams experience. Could replace Josh Norman on the Panther special teams now that Norman is a starting CB. 

UNC-kick.gif

(sorry Heels fans)

Yes. 

Every year no one thinks any receivers will fall below the third round. Every year they do. 

Agreed. Receivers will fall into the later rounds because of how deep the draft is at the position... I just hope it's Hardy that falls. I wouldn't be upset if we took the guy in the 4th though.

Finally someone else sees that Hardy is not a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Damn ECU homers!

I'm a homer that is for sure but I understand that J Hardy has been overlooked and will be again. I think he will drop and fly under the radar. Hopefully the Panthers will get lucky and can grab him at a discount!

Erik Highsmith and J Hardy were an awesome dou at West Craven.

People think he is a second rounder?

Good lord.

I have seen projected high as the third round but not second round. If his 40 at the combine was a 4.4 then yes but a 4.56 nah, I can see him end up being selected in the fourth round realistically.

Archived