• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Captains - My Best Photo of the Year

Jeremy Igo

Last year fellow Huddler Michael Pritchard contacted me and asked me for a favor.

His son, Jake, was the honorary captain of the game and was invited to join the Panthers players on the field for the coin toss.

I am not an official NFL photographer, so I am not allowed on the actual playing field, but I promised to do my best. Sometimes it is difficult to see what is happening at mid field due to video and still camera crews.

Thankfully, I was able to capture the moment Jake looked back to the sidelines.

jake-pritchard-captains.jpg

Of course, Jake makes this photo. His coolness and smile are all that is needed. I just pressed the shutter button. I also like the fact that Cam is playing guardian of the young captain.

Jake was diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, which is the most common fatal genetic disorder diagnosed in childhood, affecting approximately 1 in every 3,500 live male births (about 20,000 new cases each year). Because the Duchenne gene is found on the X-chromosome, it primarily affects boys; however, it occurs across all races and cultures. (source).

It was Jake's fighting spirit that was needed on the field against Cleveland and most certainly contributed to the Panthers victory.

Some time after the game, I shot the hi-res file over to Michael to have printed. They hung it up in their house and named it "The Captains", which is insanely awesome.

jake-pritchard.jpg

I can tell you that of all the photos I have ever taken at a Panthers game, this one is by far the most endearing to me.

You the man Jake!

You can read more about Duchenne here -> LINK

You can donate to their cause here -> LINK

#KEEPPOUNDING

Awesome picture Jeremy.

Jake is such a great kid (unbelievable spirit he has)....we live in the same neighborhood and he is friends with my youngest son.

We have a big 5k run and silent auction every year in our neighborhood (over 1,000 runners every year) to raise money for them and their cause.

Great picture, even better story. And..

Soooo....Zod. Idea time. Ever think you'd be cool with auctioning off some of your pictures/prints to benefit charity? Maybe not this one, because it's the family's right to have that shot solely to them IMO. But piggybacking off what MadHatter said, a Huddle auction to benefit the site/charity of your choosing? I'd pay for some of that. 

Archived