• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera confirms Panthers will be drafting a RB

gettlemanjack

Yup I didn't realize how banged up he has been until a looked a little deeper at his history at Georgia. Definitely troubling and worrisome especially with his physical running style. I really am leaning away from Gurley if he's available in the first. BPA, maybe, but that doesn't do much good if he is struggling to consistently play 16 games a year for his tenure in Carolina. Haven't we endured enough injuries at the running back position in recent years here?

Agreed.

Get a healthy running back, not one with obvious injuries, and can't last a full college season.

Plus, looking at who we have brought in for visits thus far... Gurley is the only true first round talent on the list at the RB position and it may just be due diligence in the event he falls to the second. The rest of the group features a second rounder or two, a couple mid-round guys, and some late round prospects at the position. We aren't sure where we will take one but its a good bet we will at some point if BPA matches with need at the right time.

As I stated in another thread yesterday, please go look at Gurley's carries per game, and injury history.

And that's in college.

I saw this post in another thread and wanted to look into it. Here is what I got.  Feel free to correct me I hadn't paid that much attention to him and I could be missing something.  I used touches as carries and receptions but excluded kickoff returns and added them up and divided by the number of games he appeared in.

Freshman year - Played in every game.  Averaged 17 touches per game and 6.31 yards per touch.

Sophomore year - Played in thirteen games.  Missed first half vs Clemson with pulled quad but came back.  Missed 3.5 games due to ankle injury suffered in second quarter against LSU.  Missed second quarter in first game back from ankle injury against Florida for conditioning reasons.  Averaged 20.2 touches per game and 7.08 yards per touch.

Junior year - Played in six games.  Suspended four games for improper benefits.  Missed 3 games with torn ACL. Averaged 22.5 touches per game and 7.17 yards per touch.

Overall based on what I have found he has had two big injuries one was an ankle injury that easily could have been much worse, and the big big one with the ACL.  Neither is a spot you want your running back getting injured in.  I think personally I would only take him if I was comfortable with his knee, but if I was comfortable i'd be salivating at his potential.

Looking at the RB class, with Gurley, Gordon, Ajaye, Coleman, Abdullah, and Johnson, some of the RB hungry clubs could go on a run and they're all gone before 57.  DAL, JAX, TEN, NE (didn't re-sign Ridley), STL, OAK, MINN, CLE, AZ could all use one. This could allow a stud at another position to slip beneath the cracks. 

Looking at the RB class, with Gurley, Gordon, Ajaye, Coleman, Abdullah, and Johnson, some of the RB hungry clubs could go on a run and they're all gone before 57.  DAL, JAX, TEN, NE (didn't re-sign Ridley), STL, OAK, MINN, CLE, AZ could all use one. This could allow a stud at another position to slip beneath the cracks. 

Bring that poo on!

My prediction of the first 3 rounds is that we're drafting a Tackle, RB, and WR in these rounds... whoever is best at those positions.

If Gurley is there in the 1st, we grab him, Tackle in the 2nd, and WR in 3rd (Justin Hardy?)

But I wouldn't mind us going Tackle in the first, with a combination of Duke and Hardy in the 2nd/ 3rd

OR ....

with the emergence of Perriman hype...

a 1st round receiver could fall to us late in the first, draft a tackle in the 2nd

Archived