• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Casey Hampton

firstdayfan

If we trade for him we are on the hook for his 3.075 salary this year which we can't do. If he is cut then he can sign with whoever he wants. At that point we can try and sign him to a cap friendly number with deferred compensation to next year when we don't have a cap.

First off Hamption isn't going no where. The Steelers might not resign him next year but at this point he isn't asking for a trade so why would they get rid of him unless he was able to bring in a really high draft pick or the such. Not going to happen.

Second, Hampton is the best 3-4 NT in the game IMO but he would not translate well to a 4-3. I live in Steelers country and one of the big jokes up here is watching Hampton after a play roll over to get up and then catch his breath. You think people complain now about Kemo's lack of pressure...Hampton would be even worse.

If we trade for him we are on the hook for his 3.075 salary this year which we can't do. If he is cut then he can sign with whoever he wants. At that point we can try and sign him to a cap friendly number with deferred compensation to next year when we don't have a cap.

Well, that's why I think it's better if we just cut a guy that makes about that much in the roster cuts and trade for him. B/c if he hits the market, there'll be other teams trying to sign him too, and honestly he's the best/most talented name I've heard as an option for us at DT. So if we can get rid of a guy that makes a similar salary and clear the space and trade for him, we don't have to worry about anyone else swooping in underneath us and signing him.

This is it.

If this is true this the DT we have been hoping for. He is the closest thing to Kemo in regard of run stopping abilities, maybe even better course he can hold his own against double teams which Kemo have had some problem with.

He is 31 but its not like he i gonna run wild and NT´s have a long live just look at a guy like Washington. Trade for him. Find the 3 million or give him a new contract like a 4 year deal and put some if not all the guaranteed money in the 2nd year which most likely is gonna be uncapped.

We have to gamble on this on. We are not gonna find a better solution. Even though Williams is 320 he was not knowned for his run stopping abilities at Green Bay.

Trade for Hampton. And then find a way to trade for Vickerson and we are set at DT.

First off Hamption isn't going no where. The Steelers might not resign him next year but at this point he isn't asking for a trade so why would they get rid of him unless he was able to bring in a really high draft pick or the such. Not going to happen.

Second, Hampton is the best 3-4 NT in the game IMO but he would not translate well to a 4-3. I live in Steelers country and one of the big jokes up here is watching Hampton after a play roll over to get up and then catch his breath. You think people complain now about Kemo's lack of pressure...Hampton would be even worse.

jeez...let us dream, man

More recent info on Hampton, close to what Rayzor posted:

DT Casey Hampton $3,075,000.00 $6,652,000.00

Source: http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/

best chance to get him is to scrounge up some cap room and make a trade for him. he might be agreeable to a price cut if he is going to a good situation with a good contract. i'm sure we could sign him to a back ended 2-3 year deal.

Absolutely agree with this. Looks like the cap numbers have gone up quite a bit from what rayzor was considering. Not sure if we could squeeze him in.

Yeah I guess you're right, but don't Hampton and Kemo play the same style. Jenkins was at least able to get some pressure on the QB. I would still love to see it.

Kemo and Hampton would be a good combo on run downs. I could see on a first down pass as well seeing as those two could together take 3 or 4 blockers, leaving Pep and Brown to do damage.

Hampton is 31. Just like Damione Lewis, right?

Hampton plays the nose tackle in a 3-4, so he lines up over the center and controls two gaps. In the 4-3 he would line up between the center and the guard or over the guard and control two gaps. Easy transition.

Hampton has a high cap figure, but we could make that work.

Hampton would be very good in our defense, even when Kemo returns. He would control the center while the other DT collapses the pocket, and on passing downs Brayton would come inside. Sound familiar?

While we're wishing that we had a shot at him, can we wish for lower beer prices too? Both have about the same chance of happening.

i worked with 2 steelers fans and said this guy was the anchor on the line for the steelers. he wont fill the stat sheet, but he will let beason and the LB crew work without a center or guard all over them. he would be a perfect kemo replacement as a 2 down DT and for short yardage situations.

our issue on D is a plug in the middle to get our lbs space to work, he is the hands down best in the game at doing that all be it in a 3-4, where that is his sole role. i havent like the secondary play either, but the giants game last year and in preseason still show how important a guy like hampton and kemo are in making beason and the other LBs so damn good.

Hampton is 31. Just like Damione Lewis, right?

Hampton plays the nose tackle in a 3-4, so he lines up over the center and controls two gaps. In the 4-3 he would line up between the center and the guard or over the guard and control two gaps. Easy transition.

Hampton has a high cap figure, but we could make that work.

Hampton would be very good in our defense, even when Kemo returns. He would control the center while the other DT collapses the pocket, and on passing downs Brayton would come inside. Sound familiar?

While we're wishing that we had a shot at him, can we wish for lower beer prices too? Both have about the same chance of happening.

Just to fill the role of a space eater, yes Hampton would be perfect. But don't expect anything else. He doesn't have any speed and rarely does he create pressue, nor is he asked to.

Archived