• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Casey Hampton

firstdayfan

I was just on the NFL.com live chat and here is what Jason La Conforna said about big name cuts,

"One player I am sniffing around on right now is Casey Hampton. Steelers could use some cap room, he may not be someoen they would extend at this point. Id think a trade is more likely, but some people I know close to the situation say they would not be stunned if a move of some sort was made."

Hampton started 13 games for the Steelers last season and while he is a little up there in years (31) he is also up there in lbs (325). I don't think he is an ideal option but a definite improvement over our current situation.

Thoughts?

Here's what he said about my question on whether the Panthers would trade for a replacement DT or wait until cuts are made:

"You can't find guys like that on the street, that's the problem. There aren't too many 330 pounders who can play. They have been scouting Green Bay closely and were very interested in Dusty Dvoracek from Chicago before he was lost for the season, again. If Casey Hamton hit the market he would be of interest for sure, I imagine, but would they want to give him a big ticket extension at age 31? They have been actively looking for sure. Better tighten up that run defense. "

Guest BradThomas

what's his cap value? Panthers are slim in that department, so a significant move to free up space would have to be made.

Think he is a career 3-4 guy, but at this point I think sean gilbert would be an improvement. He would certainly help this team out. I believe moving to a 4-3 would help his life expectancy out and would be a great fit. Problem with him is he would prob want a new deal upon being traded not sure we can afford at this point.

He give any likely desinations or compensation for him?

Arguably the best NT in the game for the last 4 years? I'd say lets bring him in and give him a contract. He'd probably be an upgrade over our DL from last year. I have to disagree with you about not being ideal. I'd love to have Hampton on our DL. He is accustomed to dominating double teams up the middle as a true 3-4 NT in Pittsburgh...

He would be more than a stop-gap. He would be the best DT on the team.

I agree, but I don't know what we would do with him and Kemo next year. He did mention that there would probably have to be some long term deal. I asked about whether the Browns were shopping Correy Williams but he never answered it, should of put a different name.

I agree, but I don't know what we would do with him and Kemo next year. He did mention that there would probably have to be some long term deal. I asked about whether the Browns were shopping Correy Williams but he never answered it, should of put a different name.

What do you mean? You would put Kemo and Hampton out there at the same time. Hampton is about the size of Kris Jenkins right? And we had Kemo and Jenkins start for a while.

Archived