• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WalterFootball's Mock for the Panthers: March 24, 2015

gettlemanjack

I doubt we are taking a tackle with our first pick now that G-Man has stated he views Oher as the teams starting LT. He may draft one but it won't be until later and he will likely compete for a job at RT his rookie season.

Not to sound like a broken record but I hope so much you're wrong.  Even in the picture you can see Peat's girth and he can realistically be a day one starter at RT with the potential to be a LT someday or perhaps a Pro-Bowl level RT.  Any later round prospect would be a far cry from Peat and a much longer shot to be a quality NFL OT.  Relying solely on Oher and his many questions and an UDFA that's been with 6 teams in 3 years in Remmers to protect our franchise after multiple injuries is INSANE!!!

Not to sound like a broken record but I hope so much you're wrong. Even in the picture you can see Peat's girth and he can realistically be a day one starter at RT with the potential to be a LT someday or perhaps a Pro-Bowl level RT. Any later round prospect would be a far cry from Peat and a much longer shot to be a quality NFL OT. Relying solely on Oher and his many questions and an UDFA that's been with 6 teams in 3 years in Remmers to protect our franchise after multiple injuries is INSANE!!!

I didn't say we aren't going to draft an OT at all I just don't think we do it with our first pick. Maybe in the 2nd if there is a guy there but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go pass rusher/wr or Db with our first 2 picks. Just my opinion though.

I didn't say we aren't going to draft an OT at all I just don't think we do it with our first pick. Maybe in the 2nd if there is a guy there but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go pass rusher/wr or Db with our first 2 picks. Just my opinion though.

10-4. The only thing more insane than not taking an OT high would be not trusting GMan. But I'd sleep much better if I know it's our top choice and not someone's leftovers at that position. I was iffy on Peat in the top 10 last fall because IMO a top 10 OT usually needs to project as a LEFT tackle, but I'm more than fine at 25 with a projected right tackle.

I think that drafting RBs is stupid nowadays and I think that random guys like Fozzy or even Tauren Poole and the criminally underrated Tyrell Sutton a few years back can more than fill the void. All three could've done fine as starters or as half of a split system.

But you'll be hard pressed to find a much better value pick in the 3rd than Duke IMO.

I doubt we are taking a tackle with our first pick now that G-Man has stated he views Oher as the teams starting LT. He may draft one but it won't be until later and he will likely compete for a job at RT his rookie season.

I think if there is a OT available that G-Man feels is worth a first round pick, then we probably will  grab him regardless of how the team feels about Oher. 

Unless of course there is some other player available that G-Man thinks is even more worthy of a first round pick.  Could be a DE, WR, Safety, etc...  :)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article11035514.html

“I’m not going to discuss about what we’re going to do with Byron,” general manager Dave Gettleman said last week at the NFL scouting combine. “Again, we’re going to draft the best guy. And if we’ve got five stud guys at that position and we’re sitting there and that position has the best guy, I’m taking him. You can look at me like I’ve got brain damage, but I’m going to do it.”

Archived