• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Jennings AKA the guy that got Antoine Cason released

Jeremy Igo

We should thank Jennings. After Cason was released the Panthers defense improved greatly.

Why did it take so long?

The same reason our Oline sucked until 'injuries', same reason dwill was getting more touches than Stewy, same reason we could finally shut receivers down after Norman got out of the 'doghouse' (and his injury)....

Rivera is a god awful evaluator and I'm not sure what the issue has been. Hopefully there's been a learning curve for him.

The same reason our Oline sucked until 'injuries', same reason dwill was getting more touches than Stewy, same reason we could finally shut receivers down after Norman got out of the 'doghouse' (and his injury)....

Rivera is a god awful evaluator and I'm not sure what the issue has been. Hopefully there's been a learning curve for him.

In Rivera's defense, there were actually injuries that kept those guys on the field.

Bene was quickly moving up the depth chart before getting injured. As soon as he was healthy he took over for Cason.

Boston was injured for TC and most of the season. He won his starting job pretty fast after getting healthy.

Delo was playing a lot because Stew was banged up. As soon as Stew was healthy they began splitting carries and eventually Stew took over. Yeah Delo went down but they were in no rush to get him back in.

Turner was hurt which kept him out.

Norwell was an udfa so you can't expect him to start from day one.

Remmers was signed late and started rather quickly after being signed.

So it's not like we had these eventual starters sitting on the bench for no reason.

As I've watched him over the last several seasons, I've picked up on two issues that frequently hamper Rivera as a talent evaluator.

The first: In a lot of cases, Rivera puts too much faith in 'underdog' types who aren't as talented but who try really really hard. That's how you get stuck with starters like Byron Bell, Sione Fua, etc. Ron likes 'Rudys', which is cool and all but the reality is sometimes the reason they 'try harder' is because they're not very good.

Cason though? He may have been the result of Ron's other common failing; that of putting too much faith in guys from his prior teams. This is where guys like Legedu Naanee, Seyi Ajirotutu, Antwan Applewhite, etc come from.

I'm hoping both these issues get minimized in the future.

As I've watched him over the last several seasons, I've picked up on two issues that frequently hamper Rivera as a talent evaluator.

The first: In a lot of cases, Rivera puts too much faith in 'underdog' types who aren't as talented but who try really really hard. That's how you get stuck with starters like Byron Bell, Sione Fua, etc. Ron likes 'Rudys', which is cool and all but the reality is sometimes the reason they 'try harder' is because they're not very good.

Cason though? He may have been the result of Ron's other common failing; that of putting too much faith in guys from his prior teams. This is where guys like Legedu Naanee, Seyi Ajirotutu, Antwan Apple white, etc come from.

I'm hoping both these issues get minimized in the future.

That last issue should be self correcting as the years pass, no?

That last issue should be self correcting as the years pass, no?

That, or those guys will start to be a lot older :unsure:

Edit: Actually, it occurs to me that if Dave Gettleman does his job well enough, maybe that first issue could cease to be a problem as well.

We should thank Jennings. After Cason was released the Panthers defense improved greatly.

Why did it take so long?

That is the million-dollar question.  

DeCoud too.  Heck, most of the OL--Silatolu, Chandler, Bell---our entire OL was sucking and we kept suiting people up and sending them in to fail.  I realize one might say that we had few choices, but Remmers proves that theory wrong.

prolly.  I quit drinking.  Almost 2 months now.  Gonna need the support of the huddle.

Wing, I quit drinking too. Just a spontaneous decision that I made one morning after a party in my apt when I was cleaning up with a hangover.  Never touched another drop.  That was 20 years ago.  I can tell you that my life has been so much better since.  Some people can do it, I guess, and deal with its consequences.  I was not one of those people.

I don't think he is a bad evaluator he is just too loyal to certen players and that cost the team. Good thing its nipple shorts job to get rid of Rivera's Rudy's.

Archived