• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 3 Round Mock - Mid March Edition

Jeremy Igo

Devin Smith.

The size numbers really aren't that different, Devin Smith is 6'1 200 and Jaelen Strong is 6'2 215.

Devin Smith is just faster. Flat out faster. He knows how to get open against any type of coverage and often finds himself alone or a few steps behind a defender. This happens against teams like Michigan St. too, so it's not like he is torching scrubs.

He is also more quick twitch than Strong. He can stop on a dime and pull away in another direction (there was a great example of this in a game, I'll try to find it). **Edit** It was against Indiana.

Hands are about even. If they are fighting for the ball in the air, they usually come down with it. Devin Smith did have an Odell Beckham-esque catch in the endzone against Miami OH that was by far the most impressive catch either of them caught in college.

People knock Devin Smith because of the lack of receptions and because he mostly went vertical, but this guy was only doing what he was asked to do. Ohio St. ran the football A LOT. And rightfully so, because Ezekial Elliott is a stud. However, Devin Smith did more with his opportunities than Strong did.

Strong - 82 receptions, 1182 yards, 10 TDs

Smith - 32 receptions, 882 yards, 12 TDs

The difference is staggering. Put Smith in a pass-first offense and Smith might go Top 5.

Strong is a good receiver, don't get me wrong. But I see him more as a Jordan Matthews type guy. Better in the slot, will get the jump ball, doesn't offer much after the catch. Nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't take him in round 1.

Devin Smith has the potential to be a bigger Desean Jackson without the off-field issues. With some development, he can be a star player, not a role player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnp-l9pha9E

If we're talking pure numbers, you have to mention 4.42 vs. 4.44. Smith was just barely faster than Strong in timed speed.

If we're talking pure numbers, you have to mention 4.42 vs. 4.44. Smith was just barely faster than Strong in timed speed.

I'm not talking combine numbers as far as speed goes. Watch them play. Everyone thought Smith was a 4.3 guy because he flat out flies on the field. Strong plays slower than his timed speed.

I'm not talking combine numbers as far as speed goes. Watch them play. Everyone thought Smith was a 4.3 guy because he flat out flies on the field. Strong plays slower than his timed speed.

I agree that Smith is a great deep threat, but that was his role. Strong had to do it all.

I wouldn't mind Smith in the 2nd. Hell, I'd really like him in the 2nd. But Strong vs. Smith at #25 isn't even a contest.

I agree that Smith is a great deep threat, but that was his role. Strong had to do it all.

I wouldn't mind Smith in the 2nd. Hell, I'd really like him in the 2nd. But Strong vs. Smith at #25 isn't even a contest.

You're entitled to your opinion but I just believe you can look at Strong and see what he is. You can look at Devin Smith and imagine the possibilities.

Both are variations of the spread. But they use them differently. Ohio St is very similar to Oregon's style, they spread out to set up the read option and running game (700 rushing attempts and 400 passes). Arizona St. is more even in their distributions (500 rushes and ~ 460 passes for the season)

I know the Buckeyes are coached by Urban Meyer. I'm not that familiar with Todd Graham though.

You're entitled to your opinion but I just believe you can look at Strong and see what he is. You can look at Devin Smith and imagine the possibilities.

That's how the Jets ended up with Stephen Hill in the 2nd instead of Alshon Jeffrey.

I don't mean to knock Smith. I like him and the possibilities. I just don't like him at #25.

That's how the Jets ended up with Stephen Hill in the 2nd instead of Alshon Jeffrey.

I don't mean to knock Smith. I like him and the possibilities. I just don't like him at #25.

Except Smith has hands and half a brain to pick up an offense.

I trust the front office to make the call but I just like what Smith has to offer as a compliment to Benjamin. If we draft Strong, we have two big bodies and still a lack of speed to take guys out of the box.

I get what you mean, but to be fair Smith has produced more than Hill did in college, hasn't he?

Except Smith has hands and half a brain to pick up an offense.

I trust the front office to make the call but I just like what Smith has to offer as a compliment to Benjamin. If we draft Strong, we have two big bodies and still a lack of speed to take guys out of the box.

Maybe he can pick up am offense, maybe he can't. We don't know. He sure did come off the field a lot at OSU. He was almost exclusively used as a deep threat.

4.44 isn't lack of speed in the least.

Archived