• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 3 Round Mock - Mid March Edition

Jeremy Igo

the more I think about things, the more I am starting to see Benjamin as a highly talented #2 possession receiver that can get downfield and make tough catches.

we were all clamor unc over Ginn because of his over the top speed because of the separation he can get.

im just starting to think how much pressure gets put on cam because with little separation, the windows to make completions to covered receivers are small. I mean, Olsen and Benjamin have small windows that Cam has to hit and the timing has to be perfect. a true #1 should be able to get a larger window, with good separation and be able to get yards after the catch because of the extra separation. we don't have that guy and I don't really see him at our pick...well, I at least don't see one that isn't going to take some serious seasoning to be that sure-fire big-yard producer that puts himself in a low risk position to catch the ball and still have enough separation to turn it into more than a possession catch.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to waste a high draft pick on someone who we aren't even sure can do anything much more than what we already have. we don't need another possession receiver like moose was, we need a playmaker that is shifty and elusive and can turn a 20 yard pass to the house.

Good point as far as I'm concerned.  That's why I always talked about adding Denarius Moore, because that would free us up to draft a WR like Strong who may be everything that we want and need in a receiver, except the speed.  The only fast guys that will be left in the draft (other than those that are gone of course) are not worthy of a first round draft pick because they have too many other questions. The only other receiver that I can think of that is kind of complete with good speed that will be available other than perhaps Breshad Perriman will probably be Nelson Agholor.  I don't know if he will work himself up squarely into the first round or not, but Nelson Agholor may just turn out to be the best of the bunch (our bunch, not above Kevin White, but who knows...).

Not exactly if the can still get open and be able to pluck it over the dbs

http://youtu.be/xgT1a_qxP6I

No way can this out more pressure on the QB. Also adding a actual #2 would make it harder to double team him to which he began to see most of the season. Strong is still pretty explosive 4.44 is faster than what Dez Bryant was posting. Remember how explosive Tavon Austin was and how he lit it up in college. How's he been in the pro's. Strong's measurables are Really close to Dez's and I'd say he's explosive enough to be a #2

yeah...KB got plenty of attention...sometimes even tripl-teamed.

Ginn is not going to be left unguarded and Olsen takes at least one LB and sometimes a safety as well to be guarded. that's when Cotchery, Philly and Bersin were able to make those quick slants and crosses to help move the chains.

if there is a receiver on the board that is ahead of the graded out OTs, we should absolutely take him, because we have to be able to put up more points because we lost the better part of our defense (Mitchell, Hardy, Munnerlyn and Alexander.) that really hurt our team but tgs money just wasn't there...whattaryagonnado?

It's gonna take s special receiving prospect to be placed above the defensive prospects that will be available at our pick...a really special receiver because we got torched because our defense is bad enough that the opponent basically got to do whatever they wanted against us and our offense had little to no cohesion.

I'm just saying, there are special defensive athletes that are really versatile that can come right in and play their games and by playing their games, turn our weaknesses into weapons.

we can get upgrades for Corchery and Bersin anywhere in the draft, but we aren't gonna see elite athletes unless they fall to us and we've done enough scouting to recognize who those elite playmakers are.

There are only a few truly elite players in this draft and I hope we get a couple of them, regardless of their playing position. I'd love to get at least 3 day 1 starters out of this draft...and not just band aids, but playmaking football players that can do their job and do it at an NFL level. we all have our ideas of who these players Are and I just hope Getts gets it right because this draft is crucial because it could affect decisions pertaining to not only getting a step closer to a super bowl and longevity success, but it could affect whether our best players want to stick around or leave for greener pastures.

we need to draft players that make our opponents get ulcers thinking about having to play us.

Yea i said this the other night. Strong would set us up for years. Really completes the offense.

Don't know much about that cb in the 3rd. But any defensive starter in the 3rd round would be great after LT in the 2nd.

This is an ideal draft in terms of filling need

Is there a good chance Fisher would still be there at the end of the 2nd? He seems to be getting a good amount of attention.

No, he's not going to be there at 57. He's been steadily rising each week since the combine. A lot of draft guys think he could be a late first now.

Who's the more complete receiver, in your mind?

Devin Smith. 

The size numbers really aren't that different, Devin Smith is 6'1 200 and Jaelen Strong is 6'2 215.

Devin Smith is just faster. Flat out faster. He knows how to get open against any type of coverage and often finds himself alone or a few steps behind a defender. This happens against teams like Michigan St. too, so it's not like he is torching scrubs. 

He is also more quick twitch than Strong. He can stop on a dime and pull away in another direction (there was a great example of this in a game, I'll try to find it). **Edit** It was against Indiana.

Hands are about even. If they are fighting for the ball in the air, they usually come down with it. Devin Smith did have an Odell Beckham-esque catch in the endzone against Miami OH that was by far the most impressive catch either of them caught in college.

People knock Devin Smith because of the lack of receptions and because he mostly went vertical, but this guy was only doing what he was asked to do. Ohio St. ran the football A LOT. And rightfully so, because Ezekial Elliott is a stud. However, Devin Smith did more with his opportunities than Strong did.

Strong - 82 receptions, 1182 yards, 10 TDs

Smith - 32 receptions, 882 yards, 12 TDs

The difference is staggering. Put Smith in a pass-first offense and Smith might go Top 5. 

Strong is a good receiver, don't get me wrong. But I see him more as a Jordan Matthews type guy. Better in the slot, will get the jump ball, doesn't offer much after the catch. Nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't take him in round 1.

Devin Smith has the potential to be a bigger Desean Jackson without the off-field issues. With some development, he can be a star player, not a role player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnp-l9pha9E

Devin Smith.

The size numbers really aren't that different, Devin Smith is 6'1 200 and Jaelen Strong is 6'2 215.

Devin Smith is just faster. Flat out faster. He knows how to get open against any type of coverage and often finds himself alone or a few steps behind a defender. This happens against teams like Michigan St. too, so it's not like he is torching scrubs.

He is also more quick twitch than Strong. He can stop on a dime and pull away in another direction (there was a great example of this in a game, I'll try to find it). **Edit** It was against Indiana.

Hands are about even. If they are fighting for the ball in the air, they usually come down with it. Devin Smith did have an Odell Beckham-esque catch in the endzone against Miami OH that was by far the most impressive catch either of them caught in college.

People knock Devin Smith because of the lack of receptions and because he mostly went vertical, but this guy was only doing what he was asked to do. Ohio St. ran the football A LOT. And rightfully so, because Ezekial Elliott is a stud. However, Devin Smith did more with his opportunities than Strong did.

Strong - 82 receptions, 1182 yards, 10 TDs

Smith - 32 receptions, 882 yards, 12 TDs

The difference is staggering. Put Smith in a pass-first offense and Smith might go Top 5.

Strong is a good receiver, don't get me wrong. But I see him more as a Jordan Matthews type guy. Better in the slot, will get the jump ball, doesn't offer much after the catch. Nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't take him in round 1.

Devin Smith has the potential to be a bigger Desean Jackson without the off-field issues. With some development, he can be a star player, not a role player.

Just curious. Have you looked at differences in the offensive schemes they play in?

Just curious. Have you looked at differences in the offensive schemes they play in?

Both are variations of the spread. But they use them differently. Ohio St is very similar to Oregon's style, they spread out to set up the read option and running game (700 rushing attempts and 400 passes). Arizona St. is more even in their distributions (500 rushes and ~ 460 passes for the season)

Archived