• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 3 Round Mock - Mid March Edition

Jeremy Igo

Now that free agency has started and major moves have been made around the league, it is time to revise my Carolina Panthers Mock Draft Rounds 1-3. The Panthers have addressed tight end and returner in free agency, so my picks have changed to reflect that.

Round 1

Jaelen Strong - WR - Arizona ST

With all the free agent wide receiver moves around the league, I see less of a demand in the first round for receivers. This may allow Jaelen Strong to fall to the Panthers if he can get by Philadelphia. At 6'2 and 215lbs, strong will remind many Carolina Panthers fans of a guy named Moose.

Like Moose, Strong would fill the number two possession receiver role immediately. He isn't the fastest guy in the draft, but that won't matter. Strong is a football player, uses his hands well against the press and gets open. His 42 inch vertical at the combine was among the best at his position. Can also play the slot if needed.

The combination of Benjamin/Strong would set Cam Newton up for continued success for years to come.

strong.0.gif

Round 2

Jake Fisher - OT - Oregon

Yes, the Panthers signed OT Michael Oher, but I don't believe there is any chance they go into the 2015 season with Oher as the only option at left tackle. Fisher's stock is on the rise since the combine, the Panthers may need to trade up a bit to get him, but it would be worth it.

Fisher isn't the physical stud that the first round tackles are, but he is a true football player. The Ducks offensive line performance decreased drastically without Fisher in the lineup. Throw in the fact that he is accustomed to protecting a mobile QB, and this is a no brainer for the Panthers.

Round 3

Jacoby Glenn - CB - UCF

With the addition of Glenn the Panthers shore up their corner position for many years to come. Getting Norman, Glenn, and Benwikere on the field together in a nickel package would be a complete nightmare for the NFC South quarterbacks.

Like Norman and Benwikere, Glenn is a ball hawk (7 interceptions in 2014 ). At 6'0 he has the size to compete against the taller receivers in the league. Throw in passion and football smarts and it becomes clear that this kid has a future in this league.

WNfptYq.gif

3kk5zdH.gif

Endorsed.

Actually I would be OK with the Strong pick. I have had my eye on him since last year ().

I have my eyes on Strong and Breshad Perriman.  I haven't made up my mind because Perriman's Pro Day isn't until March 25th.  Strong has the better hands which is always a major plus, but I still believe that Perriman may be more explosive and physical. 

Actually I would be OK with the Strong pick. I have had my eye on him since last year ().

I have my eyes on Strong and Breshad Perriman. I haven't made up my mind because Perriman's Pro Day isn't until March 25th. Strong has the better hands which is always a major plus, but I still believe that Perriman may be more explosive and physical.

Strong hands down. Honestly think they are just as explosive. Don't think he would look anymore explosive than strong on film had he been facing the pac12 DBs vs CUSA DBs.

The biggest difference is hands though. Perriman had a shocking 12.96 drop rate. Not sure the exact #s for Strong but at the Combine they said he had the best hands in the draft (really showed at pro day with zero drops)

The decision is a no brainer in my eyes.

Strong hands down. Honestly think they are just as explosive. Don't think he would look anymore explosive than strong on film had he been facing the pac12 DBs vs CUSA DBs.

The biggest difference is hands though. Perriman had a shocking 12.96 drop rate. Not sure the exact #s for Strong but at the Combine they said he had the best hands in the draft (really showed at pro day with zero drops)

The decision is a no brainer in my eyes.

Where did you get that drop rate from? I have been looking for that forever.

Where did you get that drop rate from? I have been looking for that forever.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132763/breshad-perriman

And again withe the explosiveness we will see at the pro day. Strong was pretty damn explosive at the combine. Also you really can't compare the 2 explosiveness on film.

It'd be like saying a guy like Colston was more explosive than Megatron, if you watched him dominate NFC south dbs the last few years and compare that film to Megatron had he been facing the NFC west dbs

Love Love this mock!

Like the comparison to Moose. Big Physical athlete not a burner but can still beat you deep.

The biggest thing that stands out to me with strong is his hands . Which is Huge as #2 beside Benjamin.

His hands are vice grips and no corner out there is going to rip the ball away from him. Anything that hits his hands he hauls in. He had ZERO drops at his whole pro day. He also has a nitch for making big plays.

http://youtu.be/pmydnz2fi8k

the more I think about things, the more I am starting to see Benjamin as a highly talented #2 possession receiver that can get downfield and make tough catches.

we were all clamor unc over Ginn because of his over the top speed because of the separation he can get.

im just starting to think how much pressure gets put on cam because with little separation, the windows to make completions to covered receivers are small. I mean, Olsen and Benjamin have small windows that Cam has to hit and the timing has to be perfect. a true #1 should be able to get a larger window, with good separation and be able to get yards after the catch because of the extra separation. we don't have that guy and I don't really see him at our pick...well, I at least don't see one that isn't going to take some serious seasoning to be that sure-fire big-yard producer that puts himself in a low risk position to catch the ball and still have enough separation to turn it into more than a possession catch.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to waste a high draft pick on someone who we aren't even sure can do anything much more than what we already have. we don't need another possession receiver like moose was, we need a playmaker that is shifty and elusive and can turn a 20 yard pass to the house.

Haven't seen much of Perriman, but I keep hearing serious question marks about his hands.  No thanks on that in the 1st.  We already have one starting WR in KB who has inconsistent hands.  We can't afford another one.

That's not a knock on KB.  Love the guy and he had a great rookie season, that's just stating fact.

Yes, if strong is there I can see that. His value at that pick is higher than the tackles would be. Both a big position of need, imo. 

I agree.  Most of the linemen have some weakness or unknown that makes you question them.  After Strong, there is a drop off in talent.  Sure, the draft if loaded at WR, but not many can run the entire route tree effectively.  Situational WRs are a CB's best friend; it is a lot easier to cover a guy with only 3 or 4 route options.  To give Benjamin a true #2, we need to keep the D guessing at all times by having a player across from him that can go deep, catch over the middle, work the sideline, and even block.  Strong checks off most or all of those boxes.  He is my player of choice as it stands right now.

the more I think about things, the more I am starting to see Benjamin as a highly talented #2 possession receiver that can get downfield and make tough catches.

we were all clamor unc over Ginn because of his over the top speed because of the separation he can get.

im just starting to think how much pressure gets put on cam because with little separation, the windows to make completions to covered receivers are small. I mean, Olsen and Benjamin have small windows that Cam has to hit and the timing has to be perfect. a true #1 should be able to get a larger window, with good separation and be able to get yards after the catch because of the extra separation. we don't have that guy and I don't really see him at our pick...well, I at least don't see one that isn't going to take some serious seasoning to be that sure-fire big-yard producer that puts himself in a low risk position to catch the ball and still have enough separation to turn it into more than a possession catch.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to waste a high draft pick on someone who we aren't even sure can do anything much more than what we already have. we don't need another possession receiver like moose was, we need a playmaker that is shifty and elusive and can turn a 20 yard pass to the house.

Not exactly if the can still get open and be able to pluck it over the dbs

http://youtu.be/xgT1a_qxP6I

No way can this out more pressure on the QB. Also adding a actual #2 would make it harder to double team him to which he began to see most of the season. Strong is still pretty explosive 4.44 is faster than what Dez Bryant was posting. Remember how explosive Tavon Austin was and how he lit it up in college. How's he been in the pro's. Strong's measurables are Really close to Dez's and I'd say he's explosive enough to be a #2

Dez 6'2 225 4.52 44"

Strong 6'2 217 4.44 42"

Archived