• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Source: Saints having a complete fire sale

RelaxImaPro

I don't venture to other boards. What is the sentiment towards Graham?

Ya know, a lot of the guys over on SR has the predictable, "He got paid and hasn't been the same. We're better off without him and his huge contract.", reaction. But plenty of people around here are really upset by the move, me included. Jimmy grew up a Saints fan. He loved us and we loved him back. It's always tough to see those guys go.

I can understand the football decision to trade him. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand.

Ya know, a lot of the guys over on SR has the predictable, "He got paid and hasn't been the same. We're better off without him and his huge contract.", reaction. But plenty of people around here are really upset by the move, me included. Jimmy grew up a Saints fan. He loved us and we loved him back. It's always tough to see those guys go.

I can understand the football decision to trade him. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand.

I really can't understand that decision at all. Couldn't get a deal done, franchise tag as a TE, he appealed, lost, signed a new deal before the deadline, and boom he's gone. It's deeply confusing to me.

Just makes sense with the purge. Brees' best years are behind him, at least with the Saints. I mean...how many of his playmakers are left and how good is he gonna look after this fire sale...I would wager that his value would take a pretty big hit.

The Saints offense has always been filled with removable parts. Jimmy is by far the best receiving option he's ever thrown to, and he's a TE. Running backs routinely lead the team in receptions. The Saints offense is centered around great QB play and great interior protection. They feel everything else can be swapped out. Give Drew time, he'll find someone to throw to.

Drew Brees is basically a mayor in New Orleans. They trade him, they burn this bitch down.

I really can't understand that decision at all. Couldn't get a deal done, franchise tag as a TE, he appealed, lost, signed a new deal before the deadline, and boom he's gone. It's deeply confusing to me.

Lot of talk about a lot of hurt feelings during the whole thing. And rumors that Jimmy complained about his contract all year, even after getting paid. I can't verify any of that. But reports of a rift between Jimmy and management go way back to last offseason.

So, how much would you be willing to put on them moving Brees? Cause I'm definitely down.

the Titans have roughly 26 million in cap space and Zachary Mettenberger as their QB. could be very interesting...Saint fans might not be so upset if they get Mariota and 15 million to buy new toys.....

Just makes sense with the purge. Brees' best years are behind him, at least with the Saints. I mean...how many of his playmakers are left and how good is he gonna look after this fire sale...I would wager that his value would take a pretty big hit.

I don't even know if they can do it with the dead cap hit that would be.

I just remembered reading that somewhere don't know if it's true

I don't even know if they can do it with the dead cap hit that would be.

I just remembered reading that somewhere don't know if it's true

This year it's basically impossible. The dead money would be outrageous. And only $11 million in savings. Next year? It's doable. Only $7 million dead money and $20 million savings. If they have another sub .500 season, I'd say there's a tiny chance it happens. Still not very high though.

Edit: I'm sorry, I just checked. It would cost us $7 million to cut or trade Drew Brees this year. His cap hit is $26 million. The dead money is $33 million.

@saints4life25, other saints fans in this thread

where are you as a fan at with the loomis situation. yes he's got a good track record in some areas but he also really misjudged some roster decisions this year and had to pay the piper by hemorrhaging cap assets. would you rather this fire sale be done at his direction or a new person?

same with the coach i guess. i actually agree that the offense will still be fairly productive without graham but it seems like such a waiting game for the defense to catch up year after year, with the exception of one or two seasons where it all came together.

it's not often you see a roster reset like this without cleaning house in the front office and leadership. i mean, i really don't think loomis is going anywhere anytime soon but what is the fan sentiment?

As far as the cuts, the only one I didn't like football wise was Lofton. He's a solid backer. Problem was, you don't pay solid backers $9 million. He racked up tackles, but he missed a bunch and would hardly make plays behind the LOS. And please God don't ask him to cover someone lol.

... If we were $20 million under, I doubt Lofton gets cut.

fascinating. Lofton was rated the #56 out of 60 qualifying ILBs per PFF (the guy who was #60 was the guy Lofton replaces for the Raiders for 2015). In 2014, Lofton failed to tally a single sack despite rushing the passer 98 times. Lofton had negative grades as a pass rusher, against the run, and in coverage (-12.2 vs run, -4.3 in pass coverage, -5.6 in pass rush). PFF rated Lofton the worst player on the Saints ENTIRE TEAM offense or defense, with a -21.5 grade. The only Saints starters with above the +6.0 grade of LT Armstead were Brees (+32.6), OLB Galette (+20.3) and RT Strief (+10.9)

@saints4life25, other saints fans in this thread

where are you as a fan at with the loomis situation. yes he's got a good track record in some areas but he also really misjudged some roster decisions this year and had to pay the piper by hemorrhaging cap assets. would you rather this fire sale be done at his direction or a new person?

same with the coach i guess. i actually agree that the offense will still be fairly productive without graham but it seems like such a waiting game for the defense to catch up year after year, with the exception of one or two seasons where it all came together.

it's not often you see a roster reset like this without cleaning house in the front office and leadership. i mean, i really don't think loomis is going anywhere anytime soon but what is the fan sentiment?

Loomis doesn't make the football decisions. Loomis is the money man, basically. He's an accountant by trade. It's what he went to school for. It's what he's done all of his life. It's why he usually gets away with manipulating the cap. He's great with numbers.

Football decisions, I would assume, ultimately go through Sean Payton. Loomis tells him what money would work, Payton does what he sees best.

I don't see either one going anywhere and I wouldn't want them to. Loomis is a good GM and Payton is a great coach. They make a very good team. Part of the reason I want Gayle to win the whole battle with Benson is because Loomis won't work for Rita, and Payton is leaving if Loomis leaves.

They've left some to be desired in some aspects, drafting in particular. Hopefully that changes with the front office changes this offseason. But for the most part have brought stability and a winning environment to NO. Loomis has Bensons full trust, as he runs the Pelicans as well. I don't think you'll see either leave for quite some time.

I'm down for that without a bet! Lol

I've spent a good bit of time in NOLA...definitely know my way around. if I get a chance to make it back down there, I'll call my brothers father in-law and get him to give up his 4 tickets he has 20 rows up on the 50 and we'll do it up right. he designed and built Zephyr Stadium and gives us his ticks when we come down. my brother is one lucky guy. if I can swing it I'll send you a message pod'nuh

Archived