• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams Officially Released

Jeremy Igo

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-release-RB-Williams/333e4f58-f880-4c7f-a419-36d9efdeba11

CHARLOTTE - The Carolina Panthers have released running back DeAngelo Williamsicon-article-link.gif.

"DeAngelo will forever be remembered as one of the quintessential Panthers of this era," head coach Ron Rivera said. "He holds all of our running back records, and his 20 total touchdowns in the 2008 season was a truly special feat.

"I really enjoyed watching DeAngelo grow over the past four years and wish him nothing but the best moving forward."

Williams is the franchise's all-time leader in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns but played in just six games in 2014 and produced a career-low 219 rushing yards and no touchdowns. The Panthers' first-round draft choice in 2006 out of Memphis totaled 6,846 rushing yards on 1,432 carries and 46 rushing touchdowns in nine seasons with Carolina.

The Panthers chose to tag Williams' release as a post-June 1 designation. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team can apply the designation to two veterans between the first day of the league year and the final day of May. The salary cap handling for such a release is then treated as if the release had occurred on June 2 or later of the same league year; therefore all amortized bonus amounts that had previously been charged beyond the current league year would not accelerate forward into the league year in which the player is released.

I think it's sad honestly. DeAngelo has been healthy way more than J Stew ever has been. I get it, Stew has less tread, but I wish we could have kept them both. Obviously I wish that JR hadn't chosen to show that he "wasn't cheap" by giving them ridiculous deals, so they were honestly doomed from that point fwd.

So long DeAngelo, you will be missed. I hope you go to another team and show the FO that you are nowhere near done.

Having said all of that, being a fan, obviously I hope that Fozzy ends up eclipsing both Williams and Stew as our all time leading rusher. Is that gonna happen? Probably not, but don't take my dream from me damn you!

Archived