• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera met with Owamagbe Odighizuwa in Los Angeles

gettlemanjack

yesterday, Charlotte Observer, Jonathan Jones:

"Need a model 4-3 defensive end? Owa Odighizuwa

Gettleman said in January: “If there’s a quality defensive end or defensive lineman there, it’s hard for me to pass him up.”

There aren’t many high-production defensive ends (likely to be available at #25 or later) who can play in a 4-3 defense. Still, a few players fit the model of productive 4-3 defensive end at the NFL level. UCLA’s Owa Odighizuwa, Arkansas’ Trey Flowers and Mississippi State’s Preston Smith are all players who at least look the part.

The Observer reviewed [six measurables of] the NFL’s top 25 defensive ends in 4-3 defenses from last season, as calculated by the football analytics site Pro Football Focus

With those six measurables, no 4-3 defensive end in this year’s class fits better than Odighizuwa."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article19734324.html

That's a good article and I like how they went with the measurables to narrow the prospects down. I do think those three are the only DE's on our board for the first two rounds. All the other guys just aren't scheme fits for a 4-3. Odighizuwa would be a 1st round pick from what I've seen if not for the hips. He'd have to get a full 100% all clear, no chance of any recurrence from multiple doctors for me to pick him in the 1st though.

if we're gonna go defense i'd much rather it be him than Shaq

I'm a huge Shaq fan...but I literally have seen zero coverage on him as a prospect outside of the combine besides a few bleacher report comments.

Could Shaq actually be there in the second? He rates out with some of the leagues best at both OLB and at SS, and all those guys are all-pro first round draft picks , Thomas Davis included.

I'd fall over in happiness and utter surprise if Shaq fell to us in the second and I'll be pretty upset if we miss out on him.

Archived