• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera met with Owamagbe Odighizuwa in Los Angeles

gettlemanjack

I really don't know where we are gonna go with at 25.

Wide open.

First year, I don't really care what we do with it too.

It'll end up being someone good tho.

This

I have full faith in Gettleman. Instead of Reaching for a guy just because he fits our #1 position of need, Gettleman just goes BPA. After last years draft I'm excited to see what we do this year

The hip issues were in both hips:

"In that junior season he played through pain in his right hip and the following spring had the rotator cuff in his hip operated on. But overcompensation caused problems in Odighizuwa's left hip and he underwent a second operation and had to sit out the 2013 season."

http://pit.scout.com/story/1521477-post-combine-here-s-my-guy

Publisher of SteelCityInsider.net (Steelers pick at #22 and need a pass rusher):

"POST-COMBINE: HERE'S MY GUY... [i want us to] draft Owamagbe Odighizuwa (Oh-diggy-zoo-wah) in the first round... Owa's perfect. In fact, he looks like another Harrison with all of that strength and the low pads and the ability to convert speed to power.

A coaching intern with the Steelers last year texted me this about Owa:

"I really like him. ... He's my first choice. He's already strong and physical enough to play with the big boys. Joey can develop him into a better pass rusher. He could play the run at LOLB from Day 1."

And one of our favorite analysts on the South Side message board wrote this:

"There are threads about this defense needing to get back to being asskickers. Guys that jump into gaps and slip by blocks are not asskickers. Why? Because when they cannot win with speed, they are usually done. Give me a guy that will lock horns and just whip your ass. ... Odighuzuwa is the guy I would target. I would not be afraid to take him at No. 22. I think that guy has the physical traits (size, speed, explosion, power, change of direction) and the film (holds the point, sheds blocks, gets pressure) to vault up draft boards. Not sure why he is so underrated."

This is the guy I (also) want to see the Steelers draft. But my guess is they'll rank the younger [Eli] Harold with his clean medical background ahead of Odighizuwa.

The Steelers just spent plenty of time at the combine interviewing players ... Eli Harold was one. He met with "the whole organization" and at pick 22 seems like more of a natural first-round pick over Odighizuwa, who is a couple of years older and has a medical history

But in my opinion Odighizuwa is the perfect fit. Put him next to Harrison in the locker room, give them the keys to the weightroom, and let the mentorship begin.

I still don't believe the Steelers will take him, but Odighizuwa told me at the combine that he had a formal meeting scheduled with them. And that usually means a sit-down with Mike Tomlin. Surely a sit-down would've opened the coach's eyes to the fact this is not your typical UCLA graduate with a B.A. in philosophy....Odighizuwa graduated ahead of schedule while being named to the Dean's List seven times. ... Why philosophy?

"A lot of players who major in philosophy at UCLA go on to law school," Odighizuwa told the national media from the combine podium. "I don’t know if that’s what I want to do, but that’s in consideration for me."

Law school? Well, it would seem to make sense for a young man whose father has been in prison since Owa was 10 years old.

Back in 2002, a 43-year-old Nigerian immigrant named Peter Odighizuwa, frustrated about his academic record, walked into an office at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Va., located about 35 miles north of Heath Miller's hometown in western Virginia, and murdered the dean, a professor, a student, and wounded three others. He's in jail with no chance for parole. Owa's mother moved the family of four boys -- Owa being the eldest -- to Portland, Oregon, and started over."

http://pit.scout.com/story/1521477-post-combine-here-s-my-guy

he has the most violent hands, and possess a bag of different pass rushing moves. he can really disengage off  blocks. if that hip checks, i can really see him being the pick at 25. did have many sacks, but caused a lot of disruption with pressures, and sacks for teammates. 

Chargers blog Bolts From The Blue (Chargers pick at #17):

"Owamagbe Odighizuwa, from UCLA. Who before the combine was thought to be a late 1st to early 2nd round pick. After he worked out, all signs pointing to him being a 1st rounder.

For what the Chargers do on defense, there might not be a more natural fit [than Odighizuwa].

you want to see a nasty, physical side ... You see that with Owa.

"Like a Bat out of Hell" That's how I'd describe Owa's quickness off of the line of scrimmage. There are instances where he's 2 steps ahead of everyone else, as the picture below shows. That explosiveness is what Diggy showed at the combine.

Grown Man Strength ... Owa's power is real. ... Watch the lineman's head snap like a bobblehead below ... Here is a poor tight end trying to block him. He has no shot as Diggy tosses him like a rag doll

Owa creates havoc in the backfield. ... interior lineman have no answer for him

Diggy grades out to a Top of the 2nd round talent, but in this class? He's a top 20 player. Because there aren't as many "locks" or sure fire players as we saw a year ago, Owa is a player that you roll the dice on. He's already a smart, yet dominant run defender. His athleticism jumps off the screen and will flash as a pass rusher. He can win inside and outside with both speed and power. If you feel comfortable with his medicals, the decision is an easy one."

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/2/25/8106013/owamagbe-odighizuwa-could-be-a-potential-replacement-for-jaret-johnson

columnist at Football Insiders/Draft Breakdown John Owning has Cowboys taking Odighizuwa at #27: "Odighizuwa is a player who has the potential to be one of the best values in this year's draft...With the Cowboys, Odighizuwa would lide into left defensive end, opposite of DeMarcus Lawrence... While he put up fantastic numbers at the combine, his tape might be even more stellar on film. Odighizuwa flashes incredible hand usage, strength and quickness, and he was a disruptive force—despite what his numbers might tell you—throughout his senior campaign"

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2374031-dallas-cowboys-mock-draft-7-round-predictions-post-combine/page/2

Archived