• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Packers sign Randall Cobb to 4 yr / $ 40 million contract

gettlemanjack

Give me Marvin Harrison for a year and draft a WR. We would have a couple pros with Harrison and Olsen mentoring the young guys while filling a void.

Marvin Harrison hasn't played in the NFL for like 7 years and is over 40 years old.

Nothing crazy about it. It's par for the course each year. If you want to be a consistent contender, you've got to be willing to pay for good players. Good players cost money.

That's not exactly true. Teams get burned a lot by over paying sometimes. Miami for example

That's not exactly true. Teams get burned a lot by over paying sometimes. Miami for example

Burned isnsinuates there's some kind of backlash that is tough to overcome. With the cap,t hat isn't the case. Adding players who don't help you has nothing to do with money, it has to do with coaching, scheme, personnel, etc.

Of course when you're able to acquire a big time player like Darrelle Revis who fits, and then resign him to a big contract, you put yourself in position to win championships.

It's about who and what you add. Not what you spend, as this board would have you believe.

Burned isnsinuates there's some kind of backlash that is tough to overcome. With the cap,t hat isn't the case. Adding players who don't help you has nothing to do with money, it has to do with coaching, scheme, personnel, etc.

Of course when you're able to acquire a big time player like Darrelle Revis who fits, and then resign him to a big contract, you put yourself in position to win championships.

It's about who and what you add. Not what you spend, as this board would have you believe.

No, it's about who and what you add...AND what you spend.

Teams do get burned by overpaying on contracts. This should hit close to home for you being a Panthers fan yourself. Prime example would be the contracts we handed out to Williams and Stewart and I would also say James Anderson. Beason hurt too but that was made painful due to injuries.

I can say that over the past few years, we have managed to get combined production out of Williams and Stewart that have resulted, with Cam, as a solid running attack overall...but those guys were paid probably double what they realistically should have been for being a 1-2 punch. We also overpaid on Anderson and don't even get me started on Charles Johnson.

Every one of these players produced and helped this team, fitting what we wanted to do schematically, but the overpays kept us from being able to bring other players in to fill positions of need, such as offensive line, safety, wide receiver, corner, etc.

Maybe I have misread something, but taking your comment at face value...it just does not make much sense.

Archived