• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Extend Greg Olsen

Jeremy Igo

I believe we only need about 3 million due to us picking so late. Also, we HAVE to spend 89% of our cap, we won't carry 5 mil extra this year.

The panthers are already above the floor or 89%.

The 5 million as insurance is reason #1, but reason #2 is rollover. The lasted two years they're carried over about 5 mill each year. It saved them last and helped this year too. Dave is big on having insurance cause shiit happens. He said something along the lines" If i have to go to ____ and say we need a CB, but we only have $100,000..... well not even most street FAs will sign for that"

I still believe they need close to 5 million for draft picks( factor in the comp picks too), I had a great web site that told last years 25 pick plus a 5% increase. It may have been over the cap...

They really don't have much, unless dave makes some more moves.

Awesome contract. 10.8 hit this year but 3.5 the next two years and 3 the last year.

Edit- that doesn't sound right. Spotrac must be wrong? Or is the entire 10.8 counting towards his fully guaranteed money

I assume you are looking at this:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/greg-olsen/

There are no base salaries listed yet for the extension. I've noticed in the past that spotrac will start to fill out the contract and add to it as they learn the details.

Until we get more details about the structure of the contract everyone is just guessing. I really don't see them setting up the contract with a $10.8m cap hit next year. A 2015 restructure could have been part of it or they could have just added the years on and left it as is.

I believe we only need about 3 million due to us picking so late. Also, we HAVE to spend 89% of our cap, we won't carry 5 mil extra this year.

The 89% number refers to cash spending, not cap spending. The target number is a percentage of cap but the total is based on how much cash you spend. For example if you give out a $10m signing bonus on a 5 year contract your cap spending is $2m, but your cash spending is $10m.

Our cash number is low because for the last two years we have carried a lot of dead money on the books. Also we haven't given out any substantial singing bonuses in that time.

Here is an article that goes into more detail about the differences:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/2/26/8113215/nfl-salary-cap-89-percent-spending-jaguars

For all practical purposes this 89% mark is a non issue for us. We could easily hit this number and still carry $5m into next year.

WaterFootball.com

Panthers extend TE Greg Olsen (3 years, $22.5M; $12M guaranteed): B+ Grade
Greg Olsen is coming off the best season of his career. He caught 84 passes for 1,008 yards, both of which were career-highs. He also scored six touchdowns and blocked extremely well, as usual. He was highly important for Carolina's offense, and helped lead the team to a playoff spot during its hot stretch at the end of the season. Olsen, who was heading into his contract year, definitely deserved this sort of money.

I'm giving the Panthers a B+. It would be a slightly higher grade, but my only concern is Olsen's age. He'll turn 30 a week from now, and while he should still be great in 2015, there's a chance, albeit a slim one, that he could decline in 2016 and beyond. The Panthers could be paying a bit based on past performance, but this is still a quality extension.

Archived