• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Laurence Gibson OT Virginia Tech

gettlemanjack

ex-scout Bryan Broaddus shares his thoughts on the OL at the combine :

"Just watching these offensive line workouts, it appears that there are more candidates to line up on the right side than on the left, which could help the Cowboys in case they have to go that direction. The tackles that worked out well enough to consider on that left side were T.J. Clemmings, Jake Fisher, Laurence Gibson (of VT) and D.J. Humphries. I wouldn’t be afraid to put anyone of these guys I mentioned on the right side as well."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/02/21/scout’s-eye-notes-and-observations-offensive-line-and-tight-end-groups

Huddler MHS831:

"I am totally unimpressed with Peat. Here is a name to watch---Laurence Gibson, Va Tech LT. Long arms, agile, good hand size, strength, etc. I really like him at this point (have not watched videos of him yet, but the man is built to play LT."

"Laurence Gibson (my favorite) Va Tech--I see [him] going in the second or third rounds, based on what I saw today. ... Gibson has long arms, big hands, stands about 6'6", 310, good 40 time and 10-yard split. His agility in drills caught my eye. Mayock and Co. did not say much about it (I was in and out)."

Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Laurence Gibson’s workouts gave scouts something to think about. Gibson put up some of the top numbers among offensive linemen during testing Friday. He ran a 5.04 40-yard dash, had a 33.5-inch vertical jump and a 113-inch broad jump.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay said: “The 6-5 ½, 305 pounds, 35 1/8 arm length is outstanding for an offensive linemen, 5.04, that speed, running a 40-yard dash at 5.04 at that size is outstanding as well. And his jumps we’re great.”

“He’s one of the workout warriors of this group that scouts are going to have to go back and do some more work on,” McShay said Monday. “Because position coaches are wondering, ‘Why we don’t have a higher grade on this guy and if he has enough to work with than we can bring him in and I can coach him up.’”

McShay said the combine gives some prospects a second chance to be noticed by scouts.

“When you work out at the combine and you put up really big numbers ... you go back and you watch the tape again to see if you’re missing something or see if there’s more potential there,” McShay said during a conference call with reporters.

McShay said he hadn’t reviewed much of Gibson’s game films yet ... Gibson started every game this season at left tackle for the 7-6 Hokies.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/football/article_5f11b8ba-cf5d-5735-af38-bf00f5d1af7c.html

Huddler MHS831:

"I am totally unimpressed with Peat. Here is a name to watch---Laurence Gibson, Va Tech LT. Long arms, agile, good hand size, strength, etc. I really like him at this point (have not watched videos of him yet, but the man is built to play LT."

"Laurence Gibson (my favorite) Va Tech--I see [him] going in the second or third rounds, based on what I saw today. ... Gibson has long arms, big hands, stands about 6'6", 310, good 40 time and 10-yard split. His agility in drills caught my eye. Mayock and Co. did not say much about it (I was in and out)."

he also wrote:

"Laurence Gibson is the sleeper of the draft at LOT. He caught my eye yesterday and I didn't know who he was. He has excellent measurables (long arms, etc) and he is very athletic. From this interview, he seems intelligent. I think he will be a second/third rounder by April."

"Tackles used to be a safe pick, back when colleges ran more pro set. Now, it is hard to evaluate a T. I am still going on official record--I like Humphries, but I really like Gibson (Va Tech), Fisher, Collins, and Flowers."

Norm Wood @ normwood Sep 30

Teller said #Hokies OT Laurence Gibson unleashed fiery speech

at halftime last week. Basically imploring team to run the

[expletive] ball.

Hokies Journal @ HokiesJournal Sep 30

Apparently, LT Laurence Gibson gave impassioned halftime

speech Sat. Wyatt Teller: "He's one of those guys that always

knows what to say."

"Laurence Gibson had the second-best athletic grade of any offensive lineman at the combine, which flew far more under the radar. Despite weighing 305 pounds, Gibson was able to run a 5.04-second 40-yard dash and had the fourth-best three-cone time among the offensive hogs. The former Hokie is one of the lengthier linemen in this class with approximately 35-inch arms and 10.375-inch hands. With so many tools to work with, Gibson’s stock should be pointed up throughout NFL circles."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2380924-nfl-prospects-who-killed-it-at-the-combine-but-nobody-noticed/page/8

As a Hokie, he was a guy that you never saw really screwing up but never stood out as a mauler.  Seemed really consistent though and his size seems ideal for an LT.  Interesting prospect to say the least. 

his VT bio page:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/gibson_laurence.html

smart guy, graduated Virginia Tech with not one but two degrees, one in sociology and one in psychology.

Started 19 games at VT (all 13 last season as senior, 6 in 2013 as junior)

only played two years of high school ball, so he got a late start. Kinda sounds like a poor man's TJ Clemmings

As a Hokie, he was a guy that you never saw really screwing up ... Seemed really consistent ... Interesting prospect to say the least.

Dane Brugler of CBS wrote this on Feb 6, well before the combine:

"Laurence Gibson , Virginia Tech: A part-time starter as a junior, Gibson started all 13 games at left tackle for the Hokies in 2014 and although he needs technique work, he held up well on the edges, showing enough consistency to attract the attention of NFL scouts."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25061180/nfl-combine-snubs-and-surprises

As a Hokie, he was a guy that you never saw really screwing up ... Seemed really consistent ... Interesting prospect to say the least.

Dane Brugler of CBS wrote this on Feb 6, well before the combine:

"Laurence Gibson , Virginia Tech: A part-time starter as a junior, Gibson started all 13 games at left tackle for the Hokies in 2014 and although he needs technique work, he held up well on the edges, showing enough consistency to attract the attention of NFL scouts."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25061180/nfl-combine-snubs-and-surprises

Watch a couple of games of him on youtube.  Games, not highlights.  Mostly the bowl game against Cincy and the game against Virginia.  He has good feet and can move but needs MAJOR technique work.  Blocks with he head down a lot.  Gets rocked back by a bull rush by everyone who does it.  Does not play with a solid base and would end up on the ground a lot if he had to play as a rookie.  Those things are fixable but it will take some time.  He does have the tools he just don't know how to use them at all.  I would not even think about him before the 6th round.  Just a personal opinion.  Not a draft expert.

Watch a couple of games of him on youtube. Games, not highlights. Mostly the bowl game against Cincy and the game against Virginia. He has good feet and can move but needs MAJOR technique work. Blocks with he head down a lot. Gets rocked back by a bull rush by everyone who does it. Does not play with a solid base and would end up on the ground a lot if he had to play as a rookie. Those things are fixable but it will take some time. He does have the tools he just don't know how to use them at all. I would not even think about him before the 6th round. Just a personal opinion. Not a draft expert.

CBS/NFLDraftScout.com had him rated 6th/7th R.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107726&draftyear=2015&genpos=OT

they probably did the same thing, watched a game or two, slapped a grade on him, and most likely haven't updated since the combine (they are slow to update). Based on the tools/ability he showed at the Combine, his stock should get a bump (4th-5th Round?). Will be an interesting prospect to watch as more and more people begin to study him.

Archived