• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much trust do you have in Gettleman/Rivera in Offensive Tackle evaluation?

Jeremy Igo

I think you might be getting hung up on a trivial point here.

Ultimately this team will only go as far as our QB can take us, and for him to do that we have to protect him. That means that if guys on our OL aren't cutting it, they can't stick around. We need maulers, clearly underperforming "nice guys" won't bring us a Lombardi.

Of course this also obviously expands beyond the OL.

Rivera has a few faults, and being overly loyal to certain players is one of them. Hopefully he's learning.

I don't think it's a trivial point at all.

I dont really think its smart to make a change just for the sake of making changes.  There needs to be some kind of reason and belief that the change is gonna make things better.  All those weeks we spent shuffling the line made it worse, and the more continuity we had, the better we were.

I don't think it's a trivial point at all.

I dont really think its smart to make a change just for the sake of making changes.  There needs to be some kind of reason and belief that the change is gonna make things better.  All those weeks we spent shuffling the line made it worse, and the more continuity we had, the better we were.

Continuity definitely was a factor, but the other huge factor was simply that better players were plugged in who could actually do their jobs somewhat adequately so other guys on the OL didn't have to pick up the slack. Bell and Chandler were awful, it's that simple.

I don't know how you equate sitting a clearly poorly performing player as "making changes just for the sake of making changes". With that mindset Byron Bell would still be here, and Deangelo Williams would still be here starting over Jonathan Stewart.

Continuity definitely was a factor, but the other huge factor was simply that better players were plugged in who could actually do their jobs somewhat adequately so other guys on the OL didn't have to pick up the slack. Bell and Chandler were awful, it's that simple.

I don't know how you equate sitting a clearly poorly performing player as "making changes just for the sake of making changes". With that mindset Byron Bell would still be here, and Deangelo Williams would still be here starting over Jonathan Stewart.

Because the backup could be worse than the poorly performing player.  So there might be no good reason to make that change.

I can totally agree with you about the Stewart/Deangelo decision.  But as for the other positions, we didnt have anyone on the roster at the time that clearly deserved to be a starter.  That is not blind loyalty.

Need doesn't magically make a player worthy of the pick available when you're on the clock. Reaching on an OT won't fix our problem, but it could cost us an opportunity to upgrade elsewhere.

I never suggested we reach.

You know what definitely won't fix our problem, though? Ignoring it. Which is pretty much what we've done for the last x number of years, and look where we are.

Archived