• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much trust do you have in Gettleman/Rivera in Offensive Tackle evaluation?

Jeremy Igo

I think that both Rivera and Gettleman knew that tackle was a problem last year and they were going to have to make due with what they could find. So they talked everyone up and hoped for the best. The fact that Bell was told he wouldn't be coming back even as a backup tells you what they thought about him. Maybe their fault was trusting that their O Line coach could make a purse out of a sows ear. If we don't seriously upgrade the position this year, then I will have my doubts. Our offensive line players have had more than their share of injuries over the past 2 years. It is hard to build chemistry and consistency when you suit up different guys every week. Still Bell was bad and worse of all he was lazy which is really a deadly combination. He was always standing around instead of hitting someone.

Gettleman knew the tackles were grabage.. but what coukd he do? Bring in another scrub? Reach in the draft? Morgan Moses in the 2nd round?

He was doing damage control. It was clear he was expecting a down year.

This season and next as he has more opportunities with a losened cap, we will see the evaluator and the beast of a GM we all want to see.

You guys need to understand that Gettleman has been in janitor mode and in damage control mode so far. He was working with pennies people

I trust the scouting dept to find talent I just don't trust Rivera to use them.

Eventually, Gettleman will fill the que so that Ron's ineptitude will not be an issue.  Getts puts 7 new players out there this past year alone?

Long live Nippleshorts.

our draft picks so far in the Gettles era:

0 - QB

0 - OT

0 - C

2 - OG (3rd, 4th)

2 - RB (6th, 6th)

1 - WR (1st)

2 - DT (1st, 2nd R)

1 - DE (2nd)

1 - LB (5th)

1 - S (4th)

1 - CB (5th)

i think Gettleman would tell you that he wishes he'd have taken OTs instead of RBs in the last two drafts. But like he said, he makes alot of mistakes, he's new, and he is still learning. I still have no idea how he didn't draft an OT last draft, though. That was just straight up retarded.

our draft picks so far in the Gettles era:

0 - QB

0 - OT

0 - C

2 - OG (3rd, 4th)

2 - RB (6th, 6th)

1 - WR (1st)

2 - DT (1st, 2nd R)

1 - DE (2nd)

1 - LB (5th)

1 - S (4th)

1 - CB (5th)

i think Gettleman would tell you that he wishes he'd have taken OTs instead of RBs in the last two drafts. But like he said, he makes alot of mistakes, he's new, and he is still learning. I still have no idea how he didn't draft an OT last draft, though. That was just straight up retarded.

How is it retarded? I guess you could argue he should have maybe taken an OT instead of Gaffney but I definitely don't regret him taking KB, Ealy, Turner, Boston, and Bene over one.

I'm still in wait and see mode with Gettleman regarding free agency and the OT situation but their is no doubt that he is really good at drafting.

I just don't know what you guys expected Gettleman to do? Collins was overpaid and played terrible and I'm not sure that the tackles in the draft played any better. Gettleman is not going to jeopardize the future of the franchise to try to find an immediate band-aid.

we are danged if we reach for an OT and fanged if we don't find an upgrade over Bell.

I mean, if a rookie is going to make mistakes, which all rookies do,...would you want those mistakes out of someone who could end up getting Cam creamed, or do you want maybe a defensive player where mistakes aren't so magnified?

I think that's the million dollar question. because of that, I bring in the best OT that I can out of FA and draft BPA. if that BPA on our board is an OT, then so be it, but I feel it will be highly unlikely that an OT high enough on our board at 25 will be ahead of other players and I don't see Getts reaching.

Not a whole lot after they tried to get everybody on board with Bell and Chandler as starting NFL Tackles.

Need doesn't magically make a player worthy of the pick available when you're on the clock. Reaching on an OT won't fix our problem, but it could cost us an opportunity to upgrade elsewhere.

Archived