• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help Mr. Igo

SmokinwithWilly

or anyone else with experience in motion photography.

I know Arsen had a thread about getting a new camera and I could have posted there, but I'm actually looking for a bit more info than just about a camera.

I want to get into doing some amateur photography and I'm wondering what I really need to get started. I want to do some nature photography, leaning more towards animals in motion, and possibly doing some photography at the grandkid's games. I know there's a lot of high dollar high tech equipment out there and I could drop thousands, but what do I really need to know when buying equipment?

I would like to keep it around a grand, with any bags, stands etc I need at least to start with, but also a platform I can expand off of if I decide I want to do this more. I don't know if it's possible in that price range, but any info you have would be greatly appreciated. 

or anyone else with experience in motion photography.

I know Arsen had a thread about getting a new camera and I could have posted there, but I'm actually looking for a bit more info than just about a camera.

I want to get into doing some amateur photography and I'm wondering what I really need to get started. I want to do some nature photography, leaning more towards animals in motion, and possibly doing some photography at the grandkid's games. I know there's a lot of high dollar high tech equipment out there and I could drop thousands, but what do I really need to know when buying equipment?

I would like to keep it around a grand, with any bags, stands etc I need at least to start with, but also a platform I can expand off of if I decide I want to do this more. I don't know if it's possible in that price range, but any info you have would be greatly appreciated. 

Here is a good general package for someone getting into photography that should keep you buys for a while for about a 1000 dollars...

Nikon D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens (Black)ir?t=carolhuddl-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00HQ4W1Q

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Nikon Digital SLR Camerasir?t=carolhuddl-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B003YH9DZ

The Nikon d3300 is getting great reviews and should last you for several years. It has 3d tracking which helps maintain focus while shooting moving subjects. The 18-55 lens it comes withis a good wide angle to normal zoom for just taking pictures around the house or landscapes.

The Tamron 70-300 is what you would use for nature or outdoor games. It will get you zoomed in tight enough to keep you happy. 300mm is what I shoot most Panthers games at.

You may want a tripod eventually but it really isn't needed for what you want to do. I pull out a tripod maybe 3 times a year.

So for a grand that is probably the most bang for the buck.

Archived