• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm not so sure Carolina drafts a running back at all.

Jeremy Igo

Along with Deangelo's departure I see many media outlets assuming the Panthers draft a running back. I am not so sure about that.

Most point to the fact that the Panthers lost Tyler Gaffney last season to the Patriots, but they forget that Fozzy Whitaker was brought in as a replacement. Fozzy ended up making the team and was a bright spot, as we all know. 

Also, Darrin Reaves was recently re-signed for another season. Reaves showed real promise in camp last season but dealt with injuries late. He stepped in as a starter in one game and performed about the same as the other runningbacks behind that offensive line (3.6 a carry). The Panthers are not done with this kid yet. 

So, looking at the roster it could be... 

Jonathan Stewart

Mike Tolbert

Fozzy Whitaker

Darrin Reaves

Honestly, that is a pretty darn good lineup both in terms of starter quality and depth. 

Is the FO as high on Fozzy as the Huddle? After he went off against the Cardinals in the playoffs he was immediately benched for the next game. They seem to only use him when they're forced to.

Yes, not only on the field but in the locker room as well. Fozzy is hilarious and a positive person to have around. He is the real deal. 

It's going to come down to value on draft day. Is a RB BPA in this middle rounds? With this class it's very likely. Gettleman constantly talks about wanting competition at every position. I doubt he is fine with just rolling with the group as is. A mid to late running back could come in and instantly be the second guy in line if Gettleman finds a back he loves. Don't rule it out

its a deep draft for them...do they make good special teamers or are those mostly lbs and tes

Something that has always interested me a bit.

Usually LB's, WR's and DB's are the better special teamers.

But I wonder if that is more about how many of those you carry vs. how many RB's on a gameday roster or if it's just a harder position for RB's?

its a deep draft for them...do they make good special teamers or are those mostly lbs and tes

A RB who would be great in the 7th, who would probably be good at STs is Karlos Williams. However, he had a domestic violence charge. Dropped or not, I highley doubt they touch him. He came into college as a hard hitting safety but then moved to RB. If you could find someone who switched coming into college, you could probably find a good STer.

But I believe we won't draft one. I think they believe they can grab an undrafted guy and get similar production......I think they are pretty spot on.

Is the FO as high on Fozzy as the Huddle? After he went off against the Cardinals in the playoffs he was immediately benched for the next game. They seem to only use him when they're forced to.

Ironically enough, that next game was the one D-Will was back for.  Rivera sure did favor the poo out of D-Will.

I still think we draft a RB. Stew's gonna inevitably be gone soon, Fozzy has had injury issues his entire career, Tolbert could be gone soon as well and isn't really a workhorse halfback, and Reaves, while he may be promising, is still very much unknown. If we have the 9-10 picks we should with comp picks, then I would bet we draft a RB in the mid to late rounds. I'm not saying I think we should, I just think we will.

Archived