• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jameis Winston's football IQ compared to Peyton Manning's, report says.

Dex

you can't possibly believe this.

a wise man once noted that a language is a dialect with an army and a navy. this is a perspective that suggests that there is no "pure" or "proper" english against which all other ways of speaking (like black talk) are "dialects," but rather that those in power endorse a certain way of speaking as "proper." because this so-called proper way of speaking is bound in the power of those that make it so, it means that historically those who've held the power over language have held the power over other cultural ways of being, which doesn't necessarily exclude others, but certainly creates some dynamics like ones that pop up in sports today.

the whole "wow that sure is an articulate black guy" trope is a prime example. calling a black guy articulate is often meant as a compliment from a genuinely admiring heart, but it's grounded in the idea that most black people aren't articulate, and further that african-american english itself is not articulate. it is articulate, if you understand african-american english, and is bound by strict grammatical rules the same way as so-called standard english.

how people appropriate language and intelligence (despite meaning well, i'm sure) is a lens into race and power relations in current society, and the NFL is a nifty microcosm of a larger ongoing social dialogue. i understand you don't want these things cluttering the football forum, but i think we do ourselves a disservice if we sanitize what should be an irreducible component of the sociality of football.

Why make the job of keeping this place on topic harder?

You've been around long enough.

Give that massive brain a rest for a min and let Igo do it his way.

House rules.

Guys, on the field Jameis Winston is probably the best QB to suit up in a Noles uniform and possibly the best to ever play in the ACC. That being said, he's a dick. A goofy, weird dick, but a dick none-the-less.

This guy already understands coverages on an NFL level and can make any throw in the playbook. If he keeps his head on straight and avoids serious injury, he will be a HOF'er. That, however, is a big if.

Guys, on the field Jameis Winston is probably the best QB to suit up in a Noles uniform and possibly the best to ever play in the ACC. That being said, he's a dick. A goofy, weird dick, but a dick none-the-less.

This guy already understands coverages on an NFL level and can make any throw in the playbook. If he keeps his head on straight and avoids serious injury, he will be a HOF'er. That, however, is a big if.

post-15487-142471022053_thumb.jpg

Why make the job of keeping this place on topic harder?

You've been around long enough.

Give that massive brain a rest for a min and let Igo do it his way.

House rules.

like i said, i get it. there are a lot of politics involved in running a board that in many ways acts as a democracy in terms of what kind of content is considered acceptable. as an owner you want to step on as few toes as possible. i don't envy one bit what he has to do around here.

that said, it's also much easier to say "we're not talking about that" as someone who's not affected by it in any way. endowed social privilege comes with a lot of benefits.

• 1 month later...

Archived