• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jameis Winston's football IQ compared to Peyton Manning's, report says.

Dex

Race-baiting? "Very articulate" = I BELIEVE YOU ARE INTELLIGENT. And yes, white folks are the ones usually passing judgment based on how people "speak." Some of the most ARTICULATE people I've met can't write or think worth a d@mn. How intelligent is that? You sound good when you open your mouth, but try to put words on paper (which matters a lot in professional settings) and your brain turns to mush.

What about "geography-baiting"? You don't think a lot of people from other parts of the country consider southerners to be less intelligent, in large part, due to their drawls/accents?

Twitter and Facebook prove that people (overwhelmingly "white") think Cam Newton and Jameis Winston are stupid because they aren't as "articulate" as a guy like Russell Wilson. Why not acknowledge that fact? It's relevant to this topic. :geek:

There is one person in this thread that associates a certain behavior with a race.

That person is you.

Cut it out. This is not a debate. Keep it up and you are gone.

So you are telling me that there is more to the kid than what ESPN and those of their ilk wanted us to believe the past two years?  Color me stunned.

For all the hell, and it was hell, that ESPN and the media gave Newton, I am not sure that ESPN completely made up stories about Newton.

ESPN literally MADE up the autograph story. ESPN found out that Gurley, who had actual people and documentation, that he had been paid. ESPN then goes to the same website, because god knows they can give two shts about Gurley, and searched for Winston's name instead, which produced way more hits than Gurley (this probably has to do with the fact that Winston 100x more popular than even Gurley is).

ESPN then runs to FSU administration about it, and FSU responds "we will look into it."

ESPN then runs head lines about how Winston under investigation and some even call for his suspension and stake out on the campus for a week running "reports" about all the "evidence" they collected.

Of course, after the game was over (the one ESPN made the National game of the week) they barely mentioned the story.

Three weeks later, ESPN admits that the person who was actually used to "verify" the information is under federal investigation for basically fraud, and his whole business has been called into question numerous times by those in the autograph industry.

ESPN then releases a 2 paragraph report about "our bad, that whole autograph thing was probably false" and that they basically did no fact finding and instead just ran with a story.

And this is the news organization people are using to form opinions about Winston.

Like I said, I am not sure ESPN has produced one story about why potential Tennessee starting QB for next year may need to get a clearance before he is allowed back in the state of Georgia.

So Winston has what it takes to be a super villain (based on his off the field behavior and reported genius intellect)?

Oh, and yet again, (white) people assume that someone not being SUPER ARTICULATE means they aren't intelligent (i.e., Winston, Newton, etc.). Winston was the butt of so many jokes over his post 2014 championship game comments. Southerners in general, especially those with thick southern drawls who also are sometimes underestimated because of it, should know better than that BY NOW...you'd think.

U had to say it huh?

U know what they say about assumptions right??

I am not sure but I think it's just the fact that he got away with rape and then got caught stealing.

You know, character issues.

What do white people say at manizel?

I'll tell u = he's a Friggen idiot.

I feel as if someone who steals crab legs and tries to sexually assault women shouldn't be considered 'intelligent', in any regards.

are you able to prove this asexual assault? Because you would be the first.

You also forgot how he yelled something offensive. If yelling out a popular but offensive phrase and being guilty of petty theft before the age of twenty one are enough to pass judgment on someone's intelligence then we are all morons.

There is one person in this thread that associates a certain behavior with a race.

you can't possibly believe this.

a wise man once noted that a language is a dialect with an army and a navy. this is a perspective that suggests that there is no "pure" or "proper" english against which all other ways of speaking (like black talk) are "dialects," but rather that those in power endorse a certain way of speaking as "proper." because this so-called proper way of speaking is bound in the power of those that make it so, it means that historically those who've held the power over language have held the power over other cultural ways of being, which doesn't necessarily exclude others, but certainly creates some dynamics like ones that pop up in  sports today.

the whole "wow that sure is an articulate black guy" trope is a prime example. calling a black guy articulate is often meant as a compliment from a genuinely admiring heart, but it's grounded in the idea that most black people aren't articulate, and further that african-american english itself is not articulate. it is articulate, if you understand african-american english, and is bound by strict grammatical rules the same way as so-called standard english.

how people appropriate language and intelligence (despite meaning well, i'm sure) is a lens into race and power relations in current society, and the NFL is a nifty microcosm of a larger ongoing social dialogue. i understand you don't want these things cluttering the football forum, but i think we do ourselves a disservice if we sanitize what should be an irreducible component of the sociality of football.

agIn...Jameis is a top notch NFL QB prospect and smarts don't even count until you've mastered a playbook and lead an offense. Being well-spoken only counts towards kudos with the media.

he'll be as good as Rivers, Flacco or Roethlesberger in time. None of those guys are known for being media darlings either.

I was personally curious a couple months ago if Chip Kelly would trade up for Mariota since he's over the personnel in Philly. But my how the tables have turned for Winston.

I still think if Mariota is there when the Jets pick at 6, the Eagles would trade up to get him there.

Foles played out of his mind last season...what would be the thinking in going in a different direction.

Uhhh, he was complete trash last season...

Archived