• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 Offensive Tackles On The Rise

Jeremy Igo

The most important measurable for Offensive Tackles in the NFL Combine, in my opinion, is the shuttle drill. This drill incorporates getting out of the 3 point stance, lateral movement, and pivoting. All things that translate well at their position. 40 yard dash and bench press... not so much. If you want to get a glimpse of what these kids can do physically that translated to the NFL, watch the shuttle. 

Here are the top 5 shuttle performers from the combine....

Jake Fisher - Oregon - 4.33 seconds
T.J. Clemmings - Pittsburgh - 4.54 seconds
Laurence Gibson - Virginia Tech - 4.56 seconds
Ty Sambrailo Colorado State - 4.58 seconds
Rob Crisp - NC State - 4.6 seconds

(As a reference, Byron Bell's shuttle time was 4.76)

There are two guys here I think the Carolina Panthers may target. 

Jake Fisher nailed this drill, demolishing everyone else. You may remember that I talked up Jake Fisher last month as a guy I would like to see the Panthers target. At the time he looked to be about a 3rd round pick. He may move up now in to the late second round, exactly where the Panthers will be picking. This would allow the Panthers to possibly pick up another weapon for Cam Newton in round 1 of the draft. 

Rob Crisp is another guy to keep an eye on. I first noticed him in the NC State v Florida St game this year. This kid is flying completely under the radar. He is 6'7 with a 34.5 inch arm length. For him to perform that well in the shuttle at his height is pretty remarkable. Before the combine he was looking like a UDFA... he may be drafted now. The Panthers could spend a seventh rounder on him, and I would be happy if they did. 

The most important measurable for Offensive Tackles in the NFL Combine, in my opinion, is the shuttle drill. This drill incorporates getting out of the 3 point stance, lateral movement, and pivoting. All things that translate well at their position. 40 yard dash and bench press... not so much. If you want to get a glimpse of what these kids can do physically that translated to the NFL, watch the shuttle. 

Jake Fisher nailed this drill, demolishing everyone else. You may remember that I talked up Jake Fisher last month as a guy I would like to see the Panthers target. At the time he looked to be about a 3rd round pick. He may move up now in to the late second round, exactly where the Panthers will be picking. This would allow the Panthers to possibly pick up another weapon for Cam Newton in round 1 of the draft. 

Rob Crisp is another guy to keep an eye on. I first noticed him in the NC State v Florida St game this year. This kid is flying completely under the radar. He is 6'7 with a 34.5 inch arm length. For him to perform that well in the shuttle at his height is pretty remarkable. Before the combine he was looking like a UDFA... he may be drafted now. The Panthers could spend a seventh rounder on him, and I would be happy if they did. 

Fisher looks like he is could end up being a very good NFL OT. Experience playing with a mobile QB too. I like the guy but I don't know if he's gonna be around when we pick. Hope Shaq, Gurley or Fisher is around when we pick. 

Something else too - I saw your post about how you love linemen with pedigrees from big time schools ike Ohio State, USC, Bama etc...I don't agree with you a lot but man you are 100% on the money about that. Those guys are the real deal and much more NFL ready than some "mauler" from Valdosta State. 

Lots of guys are "hot" this week.

Once the coaches go back and watch the tape, they will know whether or not Fisher and Collins will be G's are T's.

Clemmings and Sambrillo might start at G and then move to RT and then possibly to LT.  With our emphasis on running, not sure Fisher can hold down our LT or not.

Either way, this is an awesome time of the year, with FA starting in a couple weeks.

I think our first will be best served by getting a S or WR, 2nd round and on is where we will find our Uglies

Archived