• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met with Texas A&M OT Cedric Ogbuehi

Jeremy Igo

Agree on Cason and Decoud.  At worst, I thought they were going to be better for us than they turned out.  Hell, Cason actually looked pretty damn good the first few weeks and then just fell off a cliff.

My main concerns going into the season were OL and WR.  Specifically, lack of speed in the WR corps.  The OL was every bit the dumpster fire I anticipated, though forced lineup changes later in the season ended up fielding a unit that was at least serviceable.  The WR corps certainly lacked speed, but KB was even better than I'd hoped.  A lot better.  Sure, he had some frustrating drops.  But damn, that dude was a beast for a rookie WR.

I only call him a project because he is going to miss a good chunk of his rookie season which is hard for anybody and he'll already start off his NFL career with a pretty serious injury so that to me makes him a bit of a project. I do like him as a player though hopefully he can hold up.

Not really....he tore his ACL in December. He could be back by training camp if he recovers quickly. At worst you're probably looking at beginning of October. 

Gman is not in the business of taking chances. He wants players that can/will contribute immediately. Even in the later rounds.

I truly believe he has the instincts to round out his roster.

For the first time since Polian left, we have a smart football guy in charge. Anybody with a ounce of sense will just love that thought.

If you have seen nothing in the last two years. I can't help you. If you have seen the direction we are headed. Welcome to the party.

It's not that folks have unrealistic thoughts. It's that fans want the best. Panther fans have been waiting years for some semblance of success. It is just now starting to rear its head. So their angst is elevated.

Gman gots this. It has been almost 15 years since we had a football smart guy in charge. Now that we do, some folks are reticent to bow to his will. Another year or two of success will change everyone's mind.

Until then. We just have to wade through all the " But, I want a winner now" threads.

It's not unrealistic to expect all of your Draft picks through round five to contribute from day one? Since when? We'll just ignore that Cedric COULD in fact do just that for the time being, just for the sake of the argument.

I have to respectfully disagree with not thinking we could repeat. I truly believe he thought that Cason and Decoud were going to make us better. I know he had to replace Mitchell and Mickel anyway, but, I really think we though we actually upgraded with those guys.

I mean, how could you not think that two ex pro bowlers couldn't help?

So, throw in Bene and Boston as depth, and it really looks good on paper.

If he can continue his success this year? Sure looks good for the good guys. Or at least it looks good to me.

I can definitely understand that. I'm sure going into the season he envisioned us having a pretty good year. While we didn't have a true winning season in the regular season it was most definitely a successful one. Especially with the way the team closed the season. I'm not so sure he felt that we'd be as successful as we were in his first year as GM though. I mean with the way we were strapped for cash and all that it makes for tough decisions. Plus Mitchell and Ginn both had breakout years for the first time in their careers and our defense finally emerged as one of the top units. Hard to predict all of that would happen in your first year as GM. I am definitely excited to see what Gettleman can do this season

No idea without the medcails & great doctor reports.

All I've heard so far, is well blah blah faster blah healing process blah blah..... he projecting currently as mid-second rounder. I like him better than jokeal(2nd overall to jags) or matthews( 6th overall falcunts). Not saying he would have been top five lock if no injury, but to me he was/is better than those two before draft happen.

He's going in the second, likely 10 picks before the panthers pick. Id bet on it.

no earlier than the 4th. I understand the idea of stockpiling players/re-investing in the future but that has HORRIBLY backfired on teams like the 49ers, and until recently, the Pats. The 9ers were primed to dominate for years with their picks and couldn't manage to do it, because they kept investing down the road. If you have time to win in the NFL, you go for it no questions asked. I want players that can make an impact early on in rounds 1 and 2. KK and Kony both did, and they didn't have a huge injury risk. 

Because every Draft pick rounds 1-5 is an instant contributor on every playoff team except ours.....

For fugs sake some of you people have ridiculously unrealistic expectations.

First of all you need to look up the word contribute and know what it mean before using it. One can contribute by doing a lot of things and I never said the word instant so don't put words in my mouth. If you have enough knowledge about this organization you would know they would waste a pick or two on a project. Yes a project, don't make me say the names because it's a long list. Drafting like that will set your team back, but I have hope in DG. If you don't like the truth then you can kiss my ass and come see me.

no earlier than the 4th. I understand the idea of stockpiling players/re-investing in the future but that has HORRIBLY backfired on teams like the 49ers, and until recently, the Pats. The 9ers were primed to dominate for years with their picks and couldn't manage to do it, because they kept investing down the road. If you have time to win in the NFL, you go for it no questions asked. I want players that can make an impact early on in rounds 1 and 2. KK and Kony both did, and they didn't have a huge injury risk.

Exactly

First of all you need to look up the word contribute and know what it mean before using it. One can contribute by doing a lot of things and I never said the word instant so don't put words in my mouth. If you have enough knowledge about this organization you would know they would waste a pick or two on a project. Yes a project, don't make me say the names because it's a long list. Drafting like that will set your team back, but I have hope in DG. If you don't like the truth then you can kiss my ass and come see me.

Cedric Ogbuehi isn't the project you claim him to be though. There's a very strong chance he's back for Training Camp. 

Archived