• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interpreting the Combine Press Conferences

Jeremy Igo

Is he quoted as saying that or did someone else say that for him

Don't think he specifically said that but there were reports from Packers beat writers I think that that is what he's seeking. And not like "that's what he'll likely get" but "that's what he wants."

Don't think he specifically said that but there were reports from Packers beat writers I think that that is what he's seeking. And not like "that's what he'll likely get" but "that's what he wants."

Not saying you are wrong, just doesn't make sense to make demands through the media. They hire agents to do demands!

Big difference in "he'll demand" and "he demands".

I'd like to see the safety and outside linebacker positions addressed as well. We can't expect to thrift shop our way to a top secondary. Imagine how deadly our front 7 would be with a fully competent rear end. And as much as I'd love to see TD play forever, it would be nice to have some young speed and athleticism at olb for him to groom. This could also cut down some of his snaps and prolong his effectiveness in his final few seasons.

He is the one player that addresses two needs! His value to us is larger than most other teams.

Don't get hung up on yearly salary numbers, at the end of the day it's about guaranteed money. Gman can make the deal if its worth the commitment

I completely understand what you are saying.  But, your last statement is a very dangerous philosophy....it is the one that Hurney lived by and nearly destroyed this team with.

Here are a few things I think I think about what the Gettleman and Rivera NFL combine press conferences tell us.

1. Gettleman will pull the trigger early on a defensive lineman. I think it is a lock that somewhere in rounds 1-3 a defensive end or tackle will probably be taken. Gettleman just can't help himself from glowing when talking defensive line. 

2. Wide Receiver in round 1 is a real possibility. Rivera's talk of getting Cam weapons rang true as he went on to describe how another offensive weapon would have helped in Seattle. It is on their minds. 

3. Cam is the man. There is no indication at all that the Panthers are thinking of making any contingency plans on Cam Newton and his contract status. 

4. Both mentioned how deep offensive line was in this draft. Even if the panthers do go offensive tackle in round one, don't be shocked if they double dip like the defensive tackle position a couple years back. 

1. I think, if you are to be a successful 4-3 team considering the cap, you almost have to draft a DL every year.  When those guys hit their second contracts, they are expensive.  If you do not have an experienced player who can step up, you have no bargaining power.  Waiting until you need one is too late. 

2.  I see a possible double dip at WR too, one KR/PR/WR. 

3.  The only reason we do not have him under contract now is Bus Cook.  He plays the waiting game.  Remember Favre?

4. I hope we double dip at T.  I do not want one in the first round, however.  If the draft is that deep, lets grab a skill player early.

Archived