• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman Press Conference - LIVE

Jeremy Igo

"You gotta know how quickly you can get this guy on the field. If you can't get him on the field, then whats the point"

I think this is the most interesting quote. Tells me that our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe even 4th round picks are going to be expected to be day one starters.

I believe Gett just reiterated his vision.  

He uses to Free Agency to fill needs, so that he can take BPA at every pick.  

He was pretty clear about that when he first started too, but I don't know how much I believe him.  He didn't sign a free agent LT last year.  Gettleman is an NFL scouting veteran of 3 decades and I can't sit here and believe he thought Byron Bell or Nate Chandler were starting material.  They let two guys compete for a position that neither had played a snap in the NFL and backed them up with a Canadian who'd never even played a down in the NFL.  I thought that was the biggest mistake he's made so far as GM.  They could have signed someone who had played LT in the NFL before to compete for that spot or at LEAST be a backup.  

He couldn't possibly make that same mistake again.

He was pretty clear about that when he first started too, but I don't know how much I believe him.  He didn't sign a free agent LT last year.  Gettleman is an NFL scouting veteran of 3 decades and I can't sit here and believe he thought Byron Bell or Nate Chandler were starting material.  They let two guys compete for a position that neither had played a snap in the NFL and backed them up with a Canadian who'd never even played a down in the NFL.  I thought that was the biggest mistake he's made so far as GM.  They could have signed someone who had played LT in the NFL before to compete for that spot or at LEAST be a backup.  

He couldn't possibly make that same mistake again.

One word: Money.

I bet it was James. At the end of the process last year right before the draft I started to really like him too based off all I read about him. I also remember us liking Brandon Thompson (?) the guy from Clemson who got injured and I think he was in a similar RT/LT mold. I think we draft a guy this year that no one expects and the pick gets shat on because his arms or hands aren't long/big enough or because he seems slow. DG seems especially adamant about LT's not being as prototypical as everyone would like for them to be. Maybe that's part of the bust/slow start trend of top LT's lately?

I like how basically every year DG has said the draft is deep in the positions we need the most. Not saying it's not true, but makes it easy to say hey he was the best guy on our board. It's interesting about the RBs being deep too. I wonder if we take one relatively early this year.

I didn't get the sense DeAngelo is straight up gone from DG's comments. He seems to really like him (a lot more than Steve). I think DeAngelo gets the option to re-do his deal entirely to be a Panther for another year or two and then bow out-- like Jordan Gross-- or if he won't then he'll be gone.

I really like/wish we could hear more often about what players GMs, especially DG, would have taken in previous drafts. It's cool to know who we liked and to see how they panned out. Like the fact we had the draft Dallas would have had last year was cool to hear and reaffirming. 

What I appreciate most about the situation that we're in is that Gettleman has a philosophy that is sustainable for the long term.  I also enjoy the fact that there was no knee jerk reactions from our organization because we aren't world beaters yet.  It's going to take awhile for this tree to bear fruit but I like that we're heading in the right direction.

The one thing that I don't quite understand (not saying it's a bad thing) is him saying, "As far as the college kids are concerned, I haven't really gotten into the film yet" regarding left tackle draft prospects.  I know there is quite a bit on a GM's plate, but everybody in the world knows Bell is not good so why hasn't he been working on that since the season ended?

Archived