• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Compensatory Draft Picks - Panthers Get Zero?

Jeremy Igo

First, when will the compensatory draft picks be announced? While I could not find an exact date for the 2015 NFL compensatory draft picks announcement, I did find when they were announced in previous years.

2013 - March 18
2014 - March 24

These are the Mondays of the week of the NFL Owners Meeting.

So it's a safe bet to expect the announcement for the 2015 compensatory draft picks to come on March 23. (The Owners Meeting is March 22-25 this year.)

I've seen a lot of information floating around out there about the compensatory draft picks the Carolina Panthers may get. Some say one, some say three.

Well, Sport Trac says zero.

They posted their projected picks for 2015 and Carolina, much to the dismay of Panthers fans, are projected to receive none. What is more frustrating is the fact that they project the Seattle Seahawks to receive a total of four.

However, they did an update and gave Panthers fans some hope for a 5th round selection. 

For Carolina, however, including Dickson could potentially hurt them greatly. If all four of Carolina’s UFA gains (Jerricho Cotchery, Antoine Cason, Dickson, and Joe Webb) qualify, they will cancel out all four of their UFA losses (Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, Ted Ginn, Brandon LaFell). In that scenario, Carolina would still be eligible for a net value compensatory pick (the value of their lost UFAs is more than two and a half times greater than their gains), but such a pick would still fall below the 32-pick limit.

Although the unawarded net-value pick is now the only thing that the program is giving to Carolina, if I were a Panthers fan I would still be rather optimistic that it won’t be this bad. This is because although the program is currently generous with qualifying players, it is likely that some of those “bubble” players earning below $800,000 won’t qualify. Webb in particular is the one I am most skeptical about, considering that he only played in 2% of the offensive snaps. That alone should still earn Carolina a 5th for Mitchell in the end, and more non-qualifications could add a 6th or two in their favor.

Sport Trac goes really in depth about the projections. It's worth a read if it interests you.

There will only be 32 picks awarded to the entire NFL. While Carolina could be eligible for picks, they may not be among the top 32 and therefore not awarded to the team. If the Panthers miss out on an extra fifth round selection because of Joe Webb's salary and 2% overall snap count I would be surprised, but it could happen.

You will only find speculation floating around out there as the formula that decides compensatory picks isn't made public. So prepare yourself, it is possible (hopefully unlikely) the Panthers will not be receiving any compensatory picks this year.

If you look at it purely on snaps, then we ended up with a lot more play out of the free agents we signed then what we lost (take a look at the Seahawks, to be able to lose that many snaps in free agency and make the superbowl is crazy):

fXhHn.png

If you include salary, then we should definitely expect to receive 2-3 picks.

It depends how the NFL weighs playing time, salaries, other factors. The Panthers got more snaps out of free agency than they lost. That doesn't weigh in their favor.

It depends how the NFL weighs playing time, salaries, other factors. The Panthers got more snaps out of free agency than they lost. That doesn't weigh in their favor.

You're right, my point was poorly made - net playing time doesn't work in our favour, but salary does.

On another cap note, we may be due a mid rounder for Hardy's RFA next year if he signs for a decent amount (8m+?) elsewhere. 

Archived