• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Humphries - OT Florida Gators

I am not a Big Ugly connoisseur and haven't payed too much attention to the nuances of those positions (yes, I am a WR guy :) ), but after reading some scouting reports I don't know that Humphries is that much different from some of the guys that Huddlers are discussing.  This is particularly true with the likely talent at OT that will be available at #25. Humphries will need to be coached up because his hand placement is not fundamentally sound (which is quite normal among draft prospects), and he is a leaner as opposed to punching at the point of contact, but he has good feet quickness and plays with a nasty temperament.  And, just about everything that I have read says that he is a natural LT.  Yes, he has added weight, but keep in mind that he may have pretty much maxed out, so this may be as big as he gets.

DJ needs to give a % of his contract to jeremiah, jesus. I'm still staying in 2(late)-4 range. Jeremaih is ok at this draft stuff, but remember he has to create hype each year for twatter foollers and rating. He may have a relationship with DJs agent this point, who knows.

O and days before the draft many people inside nfl teams knew jawuan james was a first rounder. All it takes is one team to fall in love with a player, and early mid rounder is picked in the first. Besides the difference between first and second round is the difference between 32 and 33.

DJ needs to give a % of his contract to jeremiah, jesus. I'm still staying in 2(late)-4 range. Jeremaih is ok at this draft stuff, but remember he has to create hype each year for twatter foollers and rating. He may have a relationship with DJs agent t this point.

O and days before the draft many people inside nfl teams knew jawuan james was a first rounder.

They didn't prior to the combine though. It happened as guys were dissected leading up to the draft. Seems like Humphries is following the same pattern. For what it's worth, Humphries grade from the advisory board was a solid second. That was before he put on weight. I don't think a first round grade is anything out of the question.

Nope youre right(as I was editing my awful post). It doesn't take a miracle to move form late second to late first. Many things after the combine ala Interviews, team combines, etc do hold weight in formula in ranking a player. One team could have been dead set on picking that texas a&m OT, then he got hurt......... but they still want a true OT. DJ could benefit form other teams listing a few OTs as OGs. A draft picks value is similar to a stock, some are rising, others are falling.

Nope youre right(as I was editing my awful post). It doesn't take a miracle to move form late second to late first. Many things after the combine ala Interviews, team combines, etc do hold weight in formula in ranking a player. One team could have been dead set on picking that texas a&m OT, then he got hurt......... but they still want a true OT. DJ could benefit form other teams listing a few OTs as OGs. A draft picks value is similar to a stock, some are rising, others are falling.

all these expert mocks and rankings are like the college football polls, they are pretty meaningless until late in the process as the picture starts coming into focus down the stretch. For example, you mentioned OT Ja’Waun James who went #19 overall. Tennessee's other starting OT was Antonio Richardson. Both were 2nd Team All-SEC (Richardson by both the Coaches and AP, James by the AP only).

In his Mock 1.0 last year, Kiper had Richardson going #27 overall, and Richardson didn't even get drafted. James didn't make Kiper's 1.0 and went #19 overall

Meanwhile, Kiper's final mock was a lot more accurate: he had James going #19 overall and Richardson wasn’t on it.

Mel Kiper's latest position rankings have Humphries and Peat as his two biggest risers at OT

Feb 17, 2015 - Mel Kiper's Top 10 NFL prospects by position

Offensive tackles

1. Brandon Scherff, Iowa

2. Andrus Peat, Stanford

3. La'el Collins, LSU

4. T.J. Clemmings, Pitt

5. Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla)

6. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M

7. D.J. Humphries, Florida

8. Jeremiah Poutasi, Utah

9. Daryl Williams, Oklahoma

10. Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St.

"The biggest shift here is the rise of Peat from No. 5 in my previous ranking to No. 2 here. With Peat, the rise is based on a couple of things. First, I simply got to spend more time on his tape and liked what I saw. Second,..I think Peat has a good shot to stick at tackle and succeed there. After that, D.J. Humphries has risen the most on my board."

all these expert mocks and rankings are like the college football polls, they are pretty meaningless until late in the process as the picture starts coming into focus down the stretch. For example, you mentioned OT Ja’Waun James who went #19 overall. Tennessee's other starting OT was Antonio Richardson. Both were 2nd Team All-SEC (Richardson by both the Coaches and AP, James by the AP only).

In his Mock 1.0 last year, Kiper had Richardson going #27 overall, and Richardson didn't even get drafted. James didn't make Kiper's 1.0 and went #19 overall

Meanwhile, Kiper's final mock was a lot more accurate: he had James going #19 overall and Richardson wasn’t on it.

Yep that's also true, as dave has said about roster its fluid. draft process is fluid and its early. I still remember that clemson DE daquan bowers(awful sp) that was mocked to the panthers for basically the whole draft process @#1. Ended up going mid second to yucs and never done much.

Also thanks for what you add to each thread, I enjoy the infor that you've filter. I cannt deal with twatter unless my job made me, so thanks.

Gators other OT Chaz Green looked fantastic in drills today. would be a heckuva pick in the later rounds. he's ranked around 350. 6th year senior which means he's matured and was also a team captain. lots of injuries throughout his career but played great against the better teams he faced this last season.

Chaz Green 6'5 314 40-time 5.04

20-yard shuffle 4.7

3-come drill 8.0

21 reps

Footballguys.com Sigmund Bloom @ SigmundBloom 2h

Finally watching Florida OT DJ Humphries and can instantly see the clean LT NFL projection

seth klersy @ seth_klersy 8h

DJ Humphries is looking like one of the most athletic OT

prospects, fluid hips and soft feet, his stock is definitely on

the rise

Andre B Simone @ andresimone Feb 15

Watching Shane Ray vs Florida and DJ Humphries really held

his own. He looks like a great pass protector. Stock on the

rise #NFLDraft

Todd McShay's thoughts after watching the combine:

He lists Eagles and Panthers as best two matches for Humphries

D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida: He's been getting a lot of buzz recently, and we've really liked his movement skills. He has the potential to develop into a starting left tackle in the NFL...his workout was very good, with a great 40 (5.12) and short shuttle (4.64) and above-average scores in the bench press (26 reps) and broad jumps (8-8). One measurement concern: His 33⅝-inch arms are problematic for a left tackle prospect. ... With offensive linemen, especially the tackles, you like to see arm length of at least 34 inches. There are always exceptions -- Joe Thomas comes to mind -- but anything under 33 is a big red flag, and really anything under 33.5 isn't good.

Team fits: He'd make sense for the Eagles on Day 2 (at #52), as they're looking for athleticism at the tackle position over size. The Panthers are another possibility (at #57).

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/mcshay-best-team-fits-for-top-o-linemen.315726/

Archived